An al Qaeda leader indicted 15 years ago for the bombings of U.S. embassies in Africa is being held in a federal prison in New York after a week of presumed interrogation on a Navy ship in the Mediterranean.
Nazi Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, a Libyan known as Anas al-Libi, had been captured Oct. 5 outside his home in the Libyan capital of Tripoli during a raid by U.S. Special Forces commandos.
"Anas al-Libi was transferred to law enforcement custody this weekend and was brought directly to the Southern District of New York, where he has been under indictment for a decade," U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said Monday in a statement.
"The government expects that he will be presented before a judicial officer tomorrow," Bharara said.
Al-Libi had been one of four fugitives among 21 alleged terrorists indicted in New York for the August 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.