Roundup of violence in Iraq - 23 January 2007 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Roundup of violence in Iraq - 23 January 2007

By Laith Hammoudi - McClatchy Newspapers

April 27, 2007 10:43 AM

The daily Iraq violence report is compiled by McClatchy Newspapers Special Correspondent Laith Hammoudi in Baghdad from police, military and medical reports. This is not a comprehensive list of all violence in Iraq, much of which goes unreported. Itís posted without editing as transmitted to McClatchyís Washington Bureau. p> Baghdad. The source: the MOI operation room

-- 1 civilian was killed and 4 wounded in a parked car bomb explosion in Sheikh Omar neighborhood downtown Baghdad at 9 am

-- 4 civilians were killed and 7 injured in a parked car explosion in Karrada neighborhood downtown Baghdad

-- 3 policemen were injured when an IED explosion targeted their patrol in Wahran square in Baladyat neighborhood east of Baghdad.

Basra

-- Police source in Basra province said that a civilian was killed in an IED explosion in Haqil Sabba area 70 kms west of Basra city. The IED targeted an American convoy.

-- The spokesman of the MNF in the south Katy Brown said that 7 British soldiers were injured last night in two separate incidents, two of them were injured severely. She explained that 5 of them were injured outside of Basra city on the highway when their vehicle crashed into a civilian vehicle. The spokesman said that two Iraqi civilians were injured in the incident, one seriously. The other two soldiers were injured by a katusha rocket attack on the British consulate downtown Basra city and one of them was severely wounded.

-- The spokesman of the MNF in the south of Iraq said that the British forces found a weapons cache west of Basra city. 100-150 mortar shells were found in the cache which were exploded in a controlled explosion.

Salah Ad Din province

-- Iraqi police source said that the American forces arrested last night the chief of Tikrit local council Aarif Jabbar Motar and Sheikh Khaleel Al Ejili, a member of the Muslim Scholars Association and the imam of Omar Bin AL Khattab mosque. The two men were arrested in the house of the Iraqi army intelligence officer Captain Maeen Al Dulaimi. The two men were in a visit to the officer to mediate in releasing Dr. Basim Al Jishi, a member of the MSA and its spokesman in Tikrit and Sheikh Hamid Ugab, a member of Tikrit council and a member of Salah Ad Din tribes who were arrested two days ago by American forces. The MSA in Tikrit issued a statement condemning the arrests, describing it as a shameful operation for the American forces to apply the new policy of Bush.

-- A source in Tikrit governorate said that Sheikh Hamd Ugab had been released early morning today.

-- About 1000 people demonstrated in Tikrit condemning the policy of arresting the religious and the patriotic characters of the governorate. The demonstration started from Arba'een St. near the big mosque downtown Tikrit city today morning.

-- A security sources said that two prisoners fled from a jail in Nainawa police directorate. One of them was arrested while the other fled to an unknown place.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service