U.S. intelligence office on Cuba, Venezuela reported dwindling | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. intelligence office on Cuba, Venezuela reported dwindling

Pablo Bachelet - McClatchy Newspapers

May 16, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—A Pentagon request for more military-to-military contacts with Cuba has been denied, and a special intelligence office that monitors Cuba and Venezuela has "practically disappeared" because of staff and budget cuts, the former head of the office said Wednesday.

Norman Bailey, who until March was the mission manager for Cuba and Venezuela at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, said the State Department recently blocked Pentagon requests for its overseas military attaches to contact their Cuban counterparts, presumably to try to gather information about events in Havana.

John Negroponte, then the national intelligence director, established the Venezuela and Cuba mission manager post last year. He acted on President Bush's instructions amid concerns over Venezuela's socialist President Hugo Chavez's potential threat to U.S. interests and the consequences of Fidel Castro's undisclosed intestinal illness.

After three months on the job, Bailey, an economic consultant and Cold War expert, was fired by Mike McConnell, who replaced Negroponte in the job of coordinating the work of 16 government intelligence agencies and programs.

Bailey said he initially was told the position was being eliminated, but McConnell denied this in a March 14 letter to six House of Representatives members. He wrote that he was searching for Bailey's replacement and that the position has "not been diminished in any way."

But at a gathering at the conservative American Enterprise Institute think tank, Bailey painted a different picture.

"The fact is, that office has practically disappeared," he said, noting that with his dismissal and one resignation, its staff has dropped to one full-timer and one part-timer.

He later said the office had its "budget taken away."

ODNI spokesman Ross Feinstein declined to comment on personnel matters, but he reiterated that a replacement search is under way and that Patrick Maher, the national intelligence officer for the Western Hemisphere and a 33-year CIA veteran, is the acting mission manager for Cuba and Venezuela.

Bailey also said that the State Department had recently blocked a longstanding Pentagon request to allow U.S. military attaches in third countries to become friendly with their Cuban counterparts.

The State Department and the Defense Department declined to discuss the matter, but other U.S. government officials confirmed the request.

In the past, U.S. military attaches abroad were reprimanded if they even entered into casual conversations with their Cuban counterparts.

Only a Coast Guard representative at the U.S. diplomatic mission in Havana is allowed to talk to Cuban government officials, on matters such as migration and drug trafficking. The U.S. commander at the Guantanamo Naval Base also talks periodically with Cuban military officers to avert tensions.

———

(c) 2007, McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Need to map

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service