Government says no decisions have been made about border fence | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Government says no decisions have been made about border fence

Dave Montgomery - McClatchy Newspapers

May 04, 2007 03:00 AM

WASHINGTON—The Department of Homeland Security, hoping to mute an uproar across the border reaches of Texas, fired off letters to more than two dozen local officials Friday to assure them that no final decisions had been made on the placement of a controversial border fence.

The letters—dispatched to sheriffs and political leaders in 16 cities and 18 counties—came in response to an angry reaction stirred by the disclosure of confidential DHS memos and maps detailing plans for a 153-mile stretch of the border fence in Texas. The Texas barrier is part of more than 700 miles of fencing that Congress mandated last year along all four U.S. states bordering Mexico.

"No final decisions have been made on where all of the fencing will be constructed," said the letter, co-signed by W. Ralph Basham, commissioner of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, a branch of Homeland Security, and Anne P. Petera, DHS assistant secretary for intergovernmental programs.

The letter-writing blitz came two days after south Texas business and political leaders held a news conference in Austin to accuse federal authorities of reneging on promises to work closely with them in laying out the barrier. Many local leaders have said DHS officials led them to believe that the barrier would primarily be a "virtual wall" consisting of high-tech surveillance, instead of a traditional fence.

Details of DHS plans came to light as federal authorities began contacting landowners about the fence, raising fears that the government planned to seize land through its power of eminent domain. But the two DHS officials said they were concerned that e-mails about the planned construction "did not adequately represent DHS' approach to this issue."

"Fencing is an important component of our effort to secure U.S. borders, but we recognize the potential impact that fencing could have on your community," said the DHS officials.

The maps, said Basham and Petera, were intended as "a starting point for a dialogue with state and local officials, landowners and other local stake-holders" after federal border officials developed a list of potential fencing locations. But the two officials promised to honor DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff's commitment to work with local officials before cementing final plans.

DHS press secretary Russ Knocke said department officials felt the DHS positions "need to be clarified" in light of the local response. South Texas officials used phrases like "wall of shame" and "iron curtain" and said the wall would create an economic and environmental disaster in their part of the state.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service