Al-Maliki nominates Shiites to fill Cabinet posts | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Al-Maliki nominates Shiites to fill Cabinet posts

Sahar Issa and Scott Canon. - McClatchy Newspapers

May 24, 2007 03:00 AM

BAGHDAD, Iraq—Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki on Thursday nominated ministers to fill six Cabinet posts that supporters of anti-American Shiite Muslim cleric Muqtada al-Sadr vacated last month.

Al-Maliki said the new ministers were picked for their technical expertise, but members of parliament rebuffed his call for immediate confirmation. Although the Bush administration has been pressing the prime minister to pursue less sectarian politics, all six nominees, like al-Maliki, are Shiites.

The development came on another violent day that saw a suicide bomber strike a funeral procession in Fallujah, killing 25 mourners, and gunmen shoot up a minibus in Baghdad, killing 11. Two more people were killed as they tried to help, when a booby trap that the gunmen had set exploded.

The Cabinet jobs came open six weeks ago, when the al-Sadr loyalists quit to protest al-Maliki's refusal to back a timetable for U.S. troops to depart the country.

When they left April 16, the former Cabinet ministers also issued a challenge to the prime minister to install professionals rather than people chosen to placate Iraq's squabbling political factions.

Al-Maliki rejected criticism that he'd taken too long to choose new people to head the ministries of agriculture, health, transportation, civil society, provincial affairs and tourism.

"If we are late in announcing the names, it is because we reviewed many names," al-Maliki said. "We believe these are the best nominees we can get."

Some in parliament used the announcement to criticize the number of government ministries, which many Iraqis say are little more than featherbeds of patronage and havens of corruption.

U.S. officials have expressed hope that the new ministers would bring practical administrative skills to their jobs, filling the void created when members of Saddam Hussein's Baath party were booted from power.

Baha al-Aaraji, an al-Sadr follower in the parliament, said his bloc might object to two of the Cabinet nominees. He also expressed consternation that the prime minister touted their professional qualifications while choosing only Shiites.

"They were not the names that we expected," Aaraji said. "That's why we (wanted) time to evaluate their competence and technical ability, as well as their backgrounds."

A member of the secular Iraqiya bloc, led by former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi, said the all-Shiite slate was disappointing but not necessarily a sign that the nominees couldn't win approval.

"Perhaps it would have been more politic to choose a mixed group," Osama al-Nijaifi said. "But if they are independent and neutral, and wish to achieve for Iraq, that is all we ask."

The suicide bomber in Fallujah struck during the funeral of Ali Ahmed Zuwail, the nephew of tribal leader Abdel Razeq al-Issawi. Zuwail had been shot dead Wednesday. In addition to the 25 killed in the bombing, at least 30 people were wounded near the al Fardaws mosque.

Iraqi police also reported that one person was killed and another wounded in gunfire that broke out in Baghdad's Hurriyah neighborhood after a roadside bomb set an American Humvee ablaze. Further details weren't immediately available.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service