Bomb blast takes biggest toll in Kabul since 2001 | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Bomb blast takes biggest toll in Kabul since 2001

Malcolm Garcia - McClatchy Newspapers

June 17, 2007 03:48 PM

KABUL, Afghanistan — At least 70 people were killed and wounded in a thunderous bomb blast that ripped through a police academy bus Sunday morning, the deadliest attack in the capital since the fall of the Taliban.

A police spokesman said 35 people were killed and another 35 wounded in an explosion so powerful it blew the roof off the bus. The victims included police and civilians. The wounded were sent to nearby hospitals, straining the resources of Kabul's limited medical facilities.

The Taliban took credit for Sunday's blast, which Ministry of the Interior officials said was the work of a suicide bomber. The bomb went off inside the bus about 8 a.m. in downtown Kabul and rocked the capital for miles around. At the time of the blast, main roads were congested with rush-hour traffic, and sidewalks were crowded with beggars, vendors and pedestrians walking to work.

"I was thrown to the ground," said Nabil Mohammad, a vendor who sells and repairs shoes. "It was very loud. I saw some fire but could not hear anything for a long time."

A handwritten list of 20 people who died in the blast was posted on a broken wall near the blackened, skeletal remains of the bus. Hundreds of badly shaken police swung the butts of their rifles to chase away gawkers and in some instances punched and kicked men and women trying to read the list.

Nearly six years after an American-led military coalition toppled the Taliban, security remains elusive. Suicide bombings, kidnappings, roadside bombs and violent crime are part of everyday life in this Texas-size nation of about 30 million. Also on Sunday, three coalition soldiers and an Afghan interpreter were killed near Kandahar.

"When I go outside Kabul, I worry, now when I stay in Kabul, I worry," said pharmacist Mohammad Esa, who works near the blast site. "Something bad is always happening."

The bombing was the second attack in 24 hours. On Saturday, a suicide bomber killed four people in west Kabul. In another recent suicide attack against a NATO convoy, 10 people including six children died in Uruzgan province.

This month, the International Committee of the Red Cross found that in the past year a renewed Taliban insurgency had spread north and west far from its traditional strongholds in the country's south. In April, for instance, Taliban fighters attacked the province of Kapisa only 45 miles from Kabul.

In Kabul last September, a suicide bomb killed 16, including two American soldiers. A suicide attack near the Interior Ministry days later left 12 people dead and more than 40 others wounded.

Afghanistan's renewed explosion of war killed an estimated 3,700 people last year.

(Garcia reports for the Kansas City Star.)

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service