Curfews imposed in 2 Iraqi towns as violence surges | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Curfews imposed in 2 Iraqi towns as violence surges

Mike Drummond - McClatchy Newspapers

July 05, 2007 05:24 PM

BAGHDAD — Officials imposed curfews in two towns to the far east and south of Baghdad on Thursday, amid violence between rival Sunni Muslims in one incident and clashes between a Shiite Muslim militia and Iraqi security forces in another.

Security officials said local authorities shut down foot and vehicular traffic in Mendli, near the Iranian border, after local Sunni gunmen fought in the streets for more than two hours against what some said were members of the insurgent group al Qaida in Iraq.

Casualty figures weren't available, but witnesses reported fierce gunfights and "huge financial losses" in the town.

Authorities clamped a curfew on Simawa, 170 miles south of Baghdad, after Iraqi police and army units confronted Mahdi Army militiamen, loyal to anti-American Shiite cleric Muqtada al Sadr. Witnesses described intense volleys of gunfire that killed four people, including a police officer, and injured nine.

Although no U.S. troops reportedly were involved, the battles underscored the web of foes the American military faces as it ramps up a countrywide security plan launched in February.

U.S. forces, now at their fully built-up strength of more than 150,000, initiated a series of offensives in Baghdad and the provinces last month in hopes of pacifying the country.

In September, Gen. David Petraeus, the top American commander in Iraq, is scheduled to deliver a progress report to Congress on the effectiveness of the troop increase. Without tangible results, lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle probably will call for a timetable for withdrawing U.S. troops.

After initially warring with Sunni tribes, the U.S. military has embraced them as allies to fight al Qaida in Iraq over the last several months. The alliance has angered majority Shiites and has raised concerns even within military ranks about training and arming those whom the U.S. once considered insurgents.

The strategy also has created confusion about who the enemy is. The U.S. military is investigating a June 22 helicopter attack that killed 17 fighters in Khalis, 30 miles northeast of Baghdad. The incident happened in the opening days of Operation Arrowhead Ripper, one of series of offensives related to the American troop buildup. U.S. officials initially said the targets were al Qaida in Iraq terrorists.

However, residents of the area complained that the victims weren't terrorists, but members of a village guard force and ordinary citizens.

Baghdad has had nightly curfews almost since the beginning of the war in March 2003. The Sunni-held Salahuddin province to the north of the capital now has a curfew from midnight to 6 a.m., and the farthest northern Kurdish province of Nainawa has a 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew.

(Drummond reports for The Charlotte Observer.)

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service