U.S. rotates carrier to Persian Gulf amid rising Iran tensions | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. rotates carrier to Persian Gulf amid rising Iran tensions

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

July 10, 2007 06:50 PM

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Navy said Tuesday that it was sending the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf in order to maintain two carriers in the region amid growing tensions with Iran over its alleged support of Iraqi insurgents.

The Enterprise Strike Group will provide "Navy power to counter the assertive, disruptive and coercive behavior of some countries, as well as support our soldiers and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan," the Navy said in its announcement, in an apparent reference to Iran.

Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said the deployment of the Enterprise was part of a "scheduled swap of carriers as part of the routine deployment." Currently, the USS Stennis, which arrived in the Middle East in mid-February, and the USS Nimitz are operating in the region.

In March, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said he didn't think there was "any expectation that we will have more than two carrier strike groups in the area." But Whitman wouldn't rule out keeping all three carrier task forces there.

The U.S. military added a second aircraft carrier earlier this year when tensions between Washington and Tehran peaked.

Vice President Dick Cheney announced the stepped-up presence while visiting the Stennis in May. "With two carrier strike groups in the gulf, we're sending clear messages to friends and adversaries alike," he said. "We'll keep the sea lanes open. We'll stand with our friends in opposing extremism and strategic threats. We'll disrupt attacks on our own forces. We'll continue bringing relief to those who suffer, and delivering justice to the enemies of freedom. And we'll stand with others to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons and dominating this region."

The Bush administration has accused Iran of instigating Iraq's most intractable violence, particularly against American troops. The U.S. military has said that it's found Iranian-made explosively formed projectiles — which can penetrate armored vehicles — in Iraq, often launched by Shiite Muslim militias. And it said a group backed by the Iranian government had kidnapped and killed four American soldiers in a brazen attack in the southern Iraqi city of Karbala.

The U.S. hasn't had three aircraft carriers in the region since the Iraq war began in 2003. Indeed, the Navy has said its increased presence in the region has strained its resources. The Enterprise returned from its last deployment in November.

Sailors abroad the Enterprise are deployed for at least six months. In all, 7,500 soldiers will be part of the Enterprise team. The carrier departed from Norfolk, Va., on Saturday.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service