Rights group condemns Colombian rebels' use of land mines | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Rights group condemns Colombian rebels' use of land mines

Pablo Bachelet - McClatchy Newspapers

July 25, 2007 04:18 PM

WASHINGTON — Colombia's leftist guerrillas have stepped up their use of land mines in recent years, maiming or killing hundreds of civilians, Human Rights Watch said Wednesday.

Jose Miguel Vivanco, the group's Americas director, said land mines were on the wane around the globe, with only the governments of Russia, Myanmar and Nepal refusing to ban their use.

But the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, known by their Spanish initials as the FARC, have been "increasing the use of land mines with a devastating effect on civilians," Vivanco said at a news briefing unveiling the 34-page report.

Land mines long have been deployed in Colombia's conflict, but the annual casualty rate never exceeded 148 during the 1990s. Casualties jumped to 287 in 2001 and peaked at 1,112 in 2005, before falling slightly to 1,107 last year, the report shows.

Most of the victims were government soldiers and police hunting for guerrillas deep in the Colombian jungles, but civilian casualties also climbed. In 2000, 66 civilians were hurt by land mines. The number jumped to 314 last year, according to the report.

Since 2002, the Colombian government has gone on the offensive against the FARC, Latin America's oldest and largest guerrilla group, and the smaller National Liberation Army, or ELN, which also uses land mines to protect its territory.

Human Rights Watch interviewed ELN leader Francisco Galvan, who refused to reject the use of land mines, arguing that international humanitarian laws don't apply to his group, according to the report.

Vivanco said the report sought to shame guerrillas into renouncing land mines, a technique that worked well to curb land-mine deployment in places such as Africa. The rights organization interviewed dozens of officials, aid workers and victims.

Vivanco said there were indications that guerrillas were deploying their land mines — usually homemade devices — to protect their camps from government raids or were leaving mines behind as they passed through an area.

He said there also were reports that illegal right-wing paramilitary groups, created to fight the leftist guerrillas, had stockpiled mines but weren't using them.

The Colombian government has long stopped using land mines. Vivanco said officials should reach out to survivors to better inform them of rehabilitation programs.

Relations between the Colombian government and Human Rights Watch have been strained since the rights group urged the U.S. Congress to reject a free-trade agreement with the South American nation, arguing that Bogota was doing too little to stop abuses by paramilitary groups.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service