China denies its military hacked into Pentagon network | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

China denies its military hacked into Pentagon network

Tim Johnson - McClatchy Newspapers

September 04, 2007 04:53 PM

BEIJING — China denied charges Tuesday that its military had hacked into a Pentagon computer network, the second time in a week that the nation has fended off accusations of cyber-attacks from within its borders.

Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said the latest charges "reflect a Cold War mentality."

Britain's Financial Times reported in its U.S. edition Tuesday that Chinese hackers had broken into a Pentagon computer network in June, leading to a shutdown of a system that serves the office of Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

The newspaper quoted an unnamed senior U.S. official as saying that the source of the attack had been traced to the People's Liberation Army. Other unnamed officials said they also were fairly certain that the attacks came from within China's military.

"The Chinese government has always opposed any Internet-wrecking crime, including hacking, and cracked down on it according to the law," Jiang told a regular news briefing. "Some people are making wild accusations against China and wantonly saying the Chinese military attacked the Pentagon's computer network. These are totally groundless."

The Pentagon said Tuesday that elements of its unclassified e-mail service had been broken into late last spring and had been taken offline briefly, causing "minor administrative disruptions and personal inconveniences."

"We know that a number of nations and groups are actively developing these capabilities," said Maj. Patrick Ryder, a spokesman. He didn't single out China as the source of the attack nor say which system had been hacked.

Last week, China dismissed reports by the German newsweekly Der Spiegel that its armed forces had infiltrated German government computer systems, including those in the office of Chancellor Angela Merkel and at three ministries.

Der Spiegel reported that the hackers had been traced to Guangzhou and Lanzhou, cities with major operations of the People's Liberation Army.

Merkel was in Beijing at the time the accusation surfaced, and the issue came up in her talks with Premier Wen Jiabao. In a joint news conference afterward, Wen made a rare public mention of the charges, touching on an espionage-related issue usually dealt with behind closed doors.

"We in the government took (the reports) as a matter of grave concern," Wen said.

The report of the cyber-attack on the Pentagon came as President Bush prepared to meet his Chinese counterpart, Hu Jintao, later this week in Sydney, Australia, before the annual Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation regional summit.

The Pentagon, in an annual report on China's military released in May, said the People's Liberation Army began cyber-attacks in 2005 and has "established information warfare units to develop viruses to attack enemy computer systems."

China's army and the Pentagon are widely assumed to be probing each other's computer networks, but the scale of the incident at the Defense Department in June raised concerns that China could disrupt crucial systems at will.

The Pentagon shut down its network for more than a week while the attacks continued, the Financial Times reported.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service