Israeli army, politicians blamed for failed invasion of Lebanon | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Israeli army, politicians blamed for failed invasion of Lebanon

Cliff Churgin - McClatchy Newspapers

January 30, 2008 03:01 PM

JERUSALEM — An independent commission looking into Israel's failed invasion of Lebanon in 2006 castigated both the army and political leaders, but it gave Prime Minster Ehud Olmert's governing coalition breathing room as it continues peace negotiations with the Palestinians.

"All in all, the (Israel Defense Forces) failed, especially because of the conduct of the high command and the ground forces, to provide an effective military response to the challenge posed to it by the war in Lebanon and thus failed to provide the political echelon with a military achievement that could have served as the basis for political and diplomatic action," said Eliyahu Winograd, a retired district judge who headed the commission.

The 34-day war began when Hezbollah guerrillas attacked along Israel's northern border, killing three members of an Israeli army patrol and capturing two others. In the course of the war, 119 Israeli soldiers, 40 Israeli civilians and more than a thousand Lebanese were reported killed.

The Winograd commission gave at least partial support to Olmert, saying the decision to start the operation was based on the facts presented to him.

"There was no failure in that decision in itself, despite its limited achievements and its painful costs," the report said.

But once the decision was made, the government apparently never reconsidered it. "We have not seen a discussion, in either the political or the military echelons, of the issue of stopping the military operation after the (United Nations) Security Council resolution was adopted," the report said.

The Israeli government created the commission, under heavy public pressure, to investigate the failures of a war that resulted in what was widely perceived as an Israeli defeat.

Last summer the Winograd commission issued an interim report that harshly criticized the prime minister, defense minister and chief of staff for hasty, ill-informed decisions. Since then, both the defense minister and chief of staff have resigned, leaving Olmert as the only one of the war's architects still in office. Following the interim report, opposition leaders, joined by groups of reservists and bereaved families, called on Olmert to resign.

Of equal concern to Olmert is a promise made by current Defense Minister Ehud Barak, leader of the Labor Party, to work for new elections after the publication of the final Winograd report.

As Olmert's largest coalition partner, if the Labor Party leaves, the government may well collapse. Barak, however, seems reluctant to leave the government as public opinion polls found the Labor Party doing poorly in elections and the right-wing opposition Likud party under the leadership of Benjamin Netanyahu surging.

The fact that the committee focused on military failures also may have provided Barak with enough cover to stay in the government, according to Dr. Raanan Keinan-Sulitzeanu of Hebrew University.

The last three days of the war have been widely regarded as the most controversial. It was during that time that Israel launched a large-scale ground operation against Hezbollah fighters even as the U.N. Security Council was drawing up a cease-fire proposal. The assault cost the lives of 33 Israeli soldiers, and some considered it to have been unnecessary. Olmert, however, has argued that without that assault, the U.N. cease-fire proposal would have been much less favorable to Israel.

(Churgin is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service