U.S. admits killing 9 Iraqis by mistake | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

U.S. admits killing 9 Iraqis by mistake

Steve Lannen - McClatchy Newspapers

February 04, 2008 11:37 AM

BAGHDAD — The lack of direct communication between the U.S. military and its militia allies may have contributed to an American helicopter attack Saturday that killed at least nine Iraqi civilians in the worst incident of mistaken fire in at least two months.

The U.S. military acknowledged in a statement released Monday that the deaths at the town of Iskandriyah, about 30 miles south of Baghdad, had been a mistake. A local Iraqi police spokesman put the death toll at 13 and said the casualties included two women and a child.

Three people, including two children, were wounded, the U.S. statement said. They were taken to American military hospitals for treatment.

A spokesman for the leader of the U.S.-allied militia, Mohammed al Ghurayiriya, said the incident probably was a case of poor communication. He said the militiamen didn't communicate directly with their American allies but must pass requests through the provincial police commander, who relayed messages. The spokesman asked not to be identified, saying that the militia's rules didn't allow it.

According to a local police spokesman, members of the local U.S.-financed awakening council — the name the American military uses to describe its militia allies — were manning a checkpoint when they came under attack by suspected al Qaida in Iraq gunmen.

The militia called for U.S. support, but when an American patrol in the area responded, it began firing on the checkpoint guards, said the police spokesman, who asked not to be identified further, as he wasn't authorized to speak for publication. The U.S. military then called in attack helicopters, which fired on the checkpoint and two houses nearby.

An American military spokesman, Lt. Col. Randy Martin, said the incident was being investigated, and he declined to discuss further details.

Asked whether coalition forces usually communicate with awakening groups, Lt. Col. James Hutton, another U.S. military spokesman, said in an e-mail message that they did. He was unable to elaborate, however.

Last July, American attack helicopters struck homes in the Husseiniya neighborhood of northern Baghdad, killing at least six people and wounding five after troops came under fire there. Residents said 11 were killed and some Iraqi authorities said that as many as 18 were killed. The U.S. said the homes had stored weapons caches.

In November, north of Baghdad, the Taji Awakening Council leader said that American airstrikes had killed 45 of his men while they manned checkpoints. A U.S. statement said they'd killed 25 armed, suspected insurgents in the area.

Also on Monday, coalition forces announced the killings of 15 suspected insurgents during a series of firefights Sunday and Monday in Khalis, about 50 miles north of Baghdad, in Diyala province. Eight suspects were arrested and five buildings burned to prevent armed militants from using the area, the statement said.

(Lannen reports for the Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader. McClatchy special correspondent Qassim Zein in Najaf contributed to this story.)

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service