Double bombing kills at least 54 in Baghdad | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Double bombing kills at least 54 in Baghdad

Steve Lannen and Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

March 06, 2008 05:32 PM

BAGHDAD — A homemade bomb followed by a suicide bomber ripped through a middle-class Baghdad neighborhood Thursday evening, killing at least 54 people, police said.

It was the second worst bombing this year in the Iraqi capital and the second significant attack this week. On Monday, two car bombs targeting the Iraqi army and police killed 16 people and injured 56.

Although security officials have announced that violence has decreased 60 percent since last March, insurgents continue to strike through suicide bombings and other means.

American soldiers stationed throughout Iraq said they feared that plans to reduce the number of U.S troops in Iraq to pre-"surge" levels by this summer could create more instability.

The American military plans to reduce its presence in places such as Baghdad and Anbar province and hand over security to the Iraqi police and army, which U.S. military leaders said was increasingly capable.

However, many top commanders and ground troops in Iraq told McClatchy last week that they're afraid a precipitous U.S. withdrawal would undermine recent security gains. Many said that it would be devastating if American troops had to return to areas that were now secure and sustain more casualties retaking them from insurgents and militias.

Thursday's attack is considered the second worst so far this year in Baghdad. On Feb. 1, two female suicide bombers detonated less than 20 minutes apart in separate animal markets, killing 98 people.

After a low of 76 people killed in Baghdad in November, February was the third straight month to see an increase in violence in the city, with 172 killed.

In Thursday's incident, the first bomb exploded at about 6:45 p.m. on Al Attar Street in Karrada, a neighborhood in eastern Baghdad. Police officers and Iraqi soldiers responded to the blast, and a suicide bomber detonated in the gathered crowd.

Many people were on the commercial street shopping on the warm evening before heading home for the weekend.

Earlier in the evening, officials described the incident as two improvised explosive devices and said eight people had been killed. But late Thursday, police officials said a male suicide bomber had detonated the second explosion and that the deaths had reached 54, with 123 injured. Four hospitals received the casualties.

Statistics compiled by U.S. officials in Iraq show that attackers increasingly are using suicide vests because they'sre having a harder time getting cars bombs near populated areas, American military officials said. According to the U.S. military figures, the number of suicide vest bombers rose from from 15 in December to 19 last month.

(Lannen writes for the Lexington (Ky.) Herald-Leader.)

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service