Severed hand confirmed death of second rebel chief | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Severed hand confirmed death of second rebel chief

Jenny Carolina Gonzalez and Frances Robles - Miami Herald

March 07, 2008 05:21 PM

The bodyguard who killed a top member of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia turned in a severed hand as proof of the death, the Colombian Defense Minister confirmed Friday.

It was the second major blow in a week for the FARC, which on Saturday lost No. 2 leader Raúl Reyes when the Colombian military bombed a rebel camp in Ecuador, which triggered a multi-national diplomatic crisis.

Colombia's defense ministry said a rebel code-named ''Rojas'' turned himself in Thursday with the right hand, passport, ID card and computer belonging to Manuel Jesús Muñoz, better known as Iván Ríos or ''Commander Iván.'' He had been a member of the FARC's secretariat and head of the rebel group's northwest bloc since 2003. Ríos' death brings the nine-member secretariat down to seven.

Read the full story on MiamiHerald.com.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Colombia's cross-border attack may have been illegal, experts say

March 06, 2008 06:58 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service