Report: Kenyan officials plotted attacks that killed hundreds | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Report: Kenyan officials plotted attacks that killed hundreds

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

March 17, 2008 04:54 PM

NAIROBI, Kenya — A leading human rights group said Monday that Kenyan political and business leaders plotted much of the country's recent ethnic violence, and it urged the new coalition government to bring the organizers to justice.

New York-based Human Rights Watch found evidence that hundreds of people were killed in planned ethnic attacks following the disputed presidential election in December. In many cases, the group said, the attacks were planned and financed by prominent civic leaders, although the group didn't directly implicate any top national politicians.

In a report titled "Ballots to Bullets," the group also charged that Kenyan police used excessive force to break up demonstrations in opposition strongholds, fatally shooting hundreds of people, including children.

More than 1,000 people have been killed and hundreds of thousands displaced by more than two months of fighting, which destroyed Kenya's reputation as a stable democracy. Last month President Mwai Kibaki and opposition leader Raila Odinga — who claimed that Kibaki stole the election — agreed to form a coalition government and a commission to investigate the violence.

"For the new government to function well and earn the people's trust, it needs to first heal the wounds by prosecuting those behind the violence," said Human Rights Watch's Africa director, Georgette Gagnon.

The fighting, centered in the western Rift Valley region, had its roots in tribe-based grievances over land that date from before 1963, when Kenya won independence from Britain. Tribes native to the Rift Valley have long complained that Kikuyus, Kenya's dominant tribe, were illegally granted large parcels of land, and Kibaki's Kikuyu-led government has failed to address the land question since coming to power in 2002.

Ethnically charged rhetoric marred the 2007 election campaign, a tightly fought race that saw Kikuyus overwhelmingly favoring Kibaki while a smattering of smaller tribes backed Odinga.

Researchers found that leaders of the Kalenjin tribe, which backed Odinga, planned attacks on Kikuyu homes before the election. One Kalenjin elder said he attended a meeting in the town of Eldoret where elders "said that if there is any sign that Kibaki is winning, then the war should break."

In most of the Rift Valley, Kikuyus fled to ancestral lands in central Kenya. But Kikuyu gangs struck back in the lakeside tourist town of Naivasha, where several witnesses told Human Rights Watch that Kikuyu businessmen called a meeting at a local hotel on Jan. 23 to plan reprisal attacks.

"This was not done by ordinary citizens; it was arranged by people with money," said one young man who attended the meeting. "We were paid 200 shillings (about $3) for going to the meeting, and we were told we would get the rest after the job. It was like a business."

Leading politicians on both sides have denied playing any role in the attacks. But many Kenyan activists say that top officials allowed the violence to carry on by not appealing more forcefully to their supporters to back down.

The government commission also must investigate the police response, Human Rights Watch said. While police admitted to following "shoot-to-kill" orders in the western opposition stronghold of Kisumu — killing more than 30 people — officers "made little attempt to intervene at all" when pro-government mobs went on rampages in Naivasha and the Rift Valley town of Nakuru, the report said.

"The commission has to ask why the police were ordered to shoot (in Kisumu) and not in other places," said Ben Rawlence, co-author of the report. "There must have been different orders in different places."

A police spokesman said the department had no comment because it hadn't read the report yet.

(McClatchy special correspondent Munene Kilongi contributed.)

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Kenyans fear turmoil despite political pact

February 29, 2008 02:41 PM

world

How Kenya's election was rigged

January 31, 2008 06:00 AM

world

Kenyan president lost election, according to U.S. exit poll

January 14, 2008 10:35 AM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service