Colombia pledges no more cross-border raids on rebels | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Colombia pledges no more cross-border raids on rebels

Pablo Bachelet - McClatchy Newspapers

March 18, 2008 11:33 AM

WASHINGTON — After 14 hours of debate, the Organization of American States approved on Tuesday — with U.S. misgivings — a resolution that rejected Colombia's March 1 bombing raid on a guerilla camp inside Ecuador.

The resolution seeks to settle an 18-day diplomatic crisis over a the incursion, in which 25 persons died, including one Colombian soldier, several Mexican citizens and members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, and pledges countries to combat lawless groups within there borders.

In a footnote, the United States said it supported "this resolution's effort to build confidence between Colombia and Ecuador to address the underlying crisis.''

But it said the resolution did not take into account other treaties that give a country a right to self defense.

The incident led to troop mobilizations by Ecuador and Venezuela and the region's most serious crisis in more than a decade. Tensions eased after Colombian President Alvaro Uribe, a firm U.S. ally, struck a handshake deal with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa at a March 8 Rio Group leaders summit in the Dominican Republic.

The OAS meeting was viewed as an occasion to enshrine those commitments in writing at the hemisphere's premier conflict-solving institution. But this proved hard as diplomats struggled to draft a text that satisfied both Colombia and U.S. desires for countries to act against armed groups and Ecuador's insistance that the incursion be condemned in strong terms.

It wasn't until after 1 a.m. that the OAS announced a deal.

In the resolution, Colombia pledges that its action "would not be repeated under any circumstances.'' The resolution also commits countries to "to combat threats to security caused by the actions of irregular groups or criminal organizations, especially those associated with drug trafficking.''

OAS Secretary General Jose Miguel Insulza is instructed to establish mechanisms to better monitor the common border.

The raid was a military success for Colombia. Raul Reyes, the FARC's No. 2 leader, died and several computers, hard discs and USB drives produced an intelligence treasure trove, suggesting links between the guerrilla group and the governments of Venezuela and Ecuador were deeper than previously believed.

The Ecuadoreans say Colombia is manipulating the media with selective leaks of information gleaned from the computers.

The Ecuadorean foreign minister, Maria Isabel Salvador, said the text was "a resounding triumph of truth.''

Colombia's foreign minister, Fernando AraÑjo, told journalists his country had managed to secure a pledge by its neigbors "in the fight against criminals, against insurgents and against terrorists,'' according to Agence-France Presse.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service