Bombs kill at least 60 in Iraq as fears mount of more to come | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Bombs kill at least 60 in Iraq as fears mount of more to come

Raviya H. Ismail and Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

April 15, 2008 06:40 PM

BAGHDAD — A spate of explosions across Iraq killed at least 60 people Tuesday and resurrected fears that the security gains that the U.S. has been touting are now unraveling.

One of the four attacks occurred in Anbar province, which Army Gen. David Petraeus, the U.S. commander in Iraq, hailed as proof of the success of the troop buildup strategy during his congressional testimony last week. Petraeus said the improved security situation in the once-restive province showed that residents there have rejected al Qaida in Iraq and its tactics.

But on Tuesday, officials said al Qaida was able to detonate a car bomb at a restaurant northwest of Ramadi, the province capital, killing at least 13 people and injuring 10 others. A second car bomb in the northeastern city of Baqouba killed 40 people, including children, and injured at least 80, police said. Other explosions hit Mosul in the north and Baghdad.

Ramadi residents said that the attacks signaled that the security gains were only temporary and that Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki's government can't maintain stability.

"Security circumstances before today were not really stable," said Ali Minawer al Ethawi, 33, a truck driver. The attacks are "a very bad sign since it may mean that the insurgents may be back once again."

Mohammed Ali al Fahdawi, a 23-year-old student, said he still thought that security was better in the area, but he said he doesn't think the government is doing enough to maintain safety.

"The government has too many issues to care about, and my province has very low priority and (is) at the bottom of the list," he said.

In the attack in Mosul, where the U.S. military is in the midst of a major offensive to rid the city of al Qaida in Iraq's influence, a suicide car bomb targeted a police vehicle.

When police responded to the attack, another car bomb exploded, injuring 17, including four police officers. Gunmen also killed seven people in separate incidents in Mosul on Tuesday.

In Baghdad, two civilians were killed and two others were wounded in a bombing near the al Alwiyah police station at about 7 a.m. At about 1:15 p.m., a civilian was killed and eight were wounded when a car bomb targeting the convoy of Maj. Ali Sabri, the director of police affairs directorate, exploded in the Karrada neighborhood.

Pentagon officials rejected suggestions that Tuesday's violence signaled a setback to the recent security gains. Geoff Morrell, a Pentagon spokesman, called Tuesday's violence "horrific and spectacular exceptions."

Morrell said that statistics suggested that the violence trend lines "are pointing down."

But during his congressional testimony last week, Petraeus presented a chart that showed that the number of attacks in Iraq was rising. According to the chart, during the last week of March, there were roughly 670 attacks throughout Iraq, compared with about 550 at the beginning of the month.

(Yaseen Taha, a special correspondent from Diyala, contributed to this report. Ismail reports for the Lexington Herald-Leader.)

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service