Iraq has all but given up on bringing U.S., Iran together | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraq has all but given up on bringing U.S., Iran together

Leila Fadel - McClatchy Newspapers

May 07, 2008 02:31 PM

BAGHDAD — The Iraqi government has all but given up on hopes it can persuade Iran and the United States to meet again to discuss security issues, the Iraqi foreign minister said Wednesday.

Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari said that his government has proposed four dates to the U.S. and Iran for tri-lateral talks, but that each has been rejected. He said the government will not propose another.

“We believe the conditions should be conducive,” Zebari said. “In the atmosphere of media attacks . . . and the lack of trust and confidence, I don’t think we will succeed in having the fourth round,” he said.

But he added that he believed talks were necessary in the current atmosphere.

“The idea is not dead,” he said. “We hope that we will be able to resume it. We think it’s very useful especially with the current circumstances of increase tension in the area.”

Last year, Iranian and American diplomats held three rounds of talks on Iraqi security issues — the first official diplomatic contact between the two countries in 27 years. But hopes for a fourth round have been disappointed, with both sides saying there'd been no results from the first three rounds, though U.S. officials said Iran at one point seemed to have stopped shipping weapons to Iraq and the Americans released several Iranians it had been holding.

But recent fighting in the southern port city of Basra and Baghdad's Sadr City district have made the U.S. and Iran even more hostile toward one another.

On Monday, the Iranian foreign minister’s spokesman, Mohammed Ali Hosseini, said that continued U.S. air strikes in Sadr City made it meaningless to have more talks with the United States.

In Baghdad U.S. officials have stepped up their accusations against Iran, renewing their claims that Iran is smuggling weapons into Iraq and funding and training Shiite Muslim militias. The heavily fortified Green Zone has come under heavy rocket fire for weeks by what the U.S. military says are 107 mm Iranian made rockets.

U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker has consistently called Iran’s influence in Iraq negative. In March, he told McClatchy that “There is nothing I can point to and say that this is a direct and positive result of those talks.”

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service