Iraq asks U.S., Iran to stop accusing and start talking | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraq asks U.S., Iran to stop accusing and start talking

Leila Fadel - McClatchy Newspapers

May 07, 2008 05:00 PM

BAGHDAD — After months of stalled talks between the United States and Iran, the Iraqi government said it was time for the two nations to stop trading accusations and come to the table.

Iraq's foreign minister, Hoshyar Zebari, said that his government had proposed four dates to the United States and Iran for tri-lateral talks, but has stopped making suggestions and doesn't expect the talks to resume anytime soon.

The United States has accused Iran of supplying weapons that are being used to attack U.S. troops and civilians, while Iran has charged the United States with unnecessarily bombing the Shiite population in Baghdad.

"We believe the conditions should be conducive," Zebari said of the talks. But in the atmosphere of media attacks, the accusations between Washington and Tehran and the general lack of trust and confidence, "I don't think we will succeed in having the fourth round."

He added, however, that talks were necessary, now more than ever.

"The idea is not dead," he said. "We hope that we will be able to resume it. We think it's very useful, especially with the current circumstances of increased tension in the area."

Last year the two diplomatic missions in Baghdad held three rounds of talks, the first of their kind in 27 years. But talks stalled this year, and both U.S. and Iranian officials say they've seen no results from the talks.

After the Iraqi military's offensive to curb the power of militias in the southern port city of Basra and a more than five-week battle in the northeast Shiite slum of Sadr City, relations have soured further between Iran and the U.S.

On Monday, Mohammed Ali Hosseini, the Iranian foreign ministry spokesman, said that U.S. airstrikes against the Shiite militia stronghold of Sadr City have rendered the talks useless and that there would be no talks until the strikes stop.

"In view of the U.S. open bombing and the assault of the Iraqi nation, Iran-Iraq-U.S. trilateral talks would be meaningless," he said in Tehran.

Meanwhile, the United States has renewed its charges against Iran, accusing Iran of smuggling weapons into Iraq and funding and training Shiite militias. The heavily fortified Green Zone, where the U.S. Embassy and Iraqi government offices are located, has come under rocket fire mainly from Sadr City for weeks by what the U.S. military says are 107mm Iranian-made rockets.

Iran denies the allegation and condemned the militia attacks on the Green Zone, but it repeated its long-standing contention that the U.S. presence in Iraq is the reason for unrest in the area.

Ryan Crocker, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, has consistently called Iran's influence in Iraq negative. "There is nothing I can point to and say that this is a direct and positive result of those talks," he told McClatchy in March.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service