In a surprise, Uribe sends 14 militia leaders to U.S. for trial | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

In a surprise, Uribe sends 14 militia leaders to U.S. for trial

Jay Weaver and Tyler Bridges - Miami Herald

May 13, 2008 09:32 PM

CARACAS — Colombian President Alvaro Uribe authorized the extradition to the United States of 14 notorious paramilitary warlords Tuesday to face cocaine-trafficking charges in a move that surprised many.

In a nationwide television address, Uribe said that he agreed to the extradition because the paramilitary leaders had been committing crimes behind bars and had failed to make restitution to victims of their crimes. ''The country has been generous with them, but the government can't tolerate a relapse into crime,'' Uribe said.

Some analysts ascribed a political motive as well, noting that Uribe's decision comes while the president and his allies have been increasingly enveloped by a scandal over their ties to paramilitary groups.

Professor Bruce Bagley, of the University of Miami, said 31 members of Congress who are Uribe allies have been imprisoned because of their paramilitary ties while another 37 are under suspicion or are under indictment — or about one-fourth of the Congress overall.

The extraditions follow the transfer of a major paramilitary warlord last week. Carlos Mario Jiménez, alias ''Macaco,'' had surrendered in December 2006 as part of a peace pact with the government. But Jiménez, 42, was among the least cooperative of about 50 warlords, and in August he became the first to be stripped of peace-deal benefits that include protection from extradition.

Among those extradited Tuesday was Salvatore Mancuso, who in his heyday fielded an army of 30,000 who fought the FARC guerrillas, killed innocent people for sport, imposed taxes on coca farmers and sold the finished product, cocaine, authorities said. He and the others could face up to 30 years in U.S. prisons.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service