Lawyer: Detainee dropped from 9/11 case tried to kill self | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Lawyer: Detainee dropped from 9/11 case tried to kill self

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

May 20, 2008 05:10 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — A lawyer for a Saudi captive here, who was once suspected of being the 9/11 ''20th hijacker,'' said Tuesday that the detainee tried to kill himself last month in despair over hearing that a Pentagon prosecutor was seeking his execution.

Mohammed al Qahtani, 29, cut himself repeatedly and had to be hospitalized at the prison camps here, according to attorney Gitanjali Gutierrez of the New York Center for Constitutional Rights. Qahtani was upset to learn that a Pentagon prosecutor had sworn out capital criminal charges against him, alleging he was a co-conspirator in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, she said. "He does not want to be a martyr,'' she said.

On May 9, a Pentagon official, without explanation, struck Qahtani's name from the charge sheet in which cahrges were pressed against five other alleged Sept. 11 conspirators. Gutierrez had Pentagon permission to visit this remote base Wednesday to tell him so.

Read the full story at MiamiHerald.com.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service