Petraeus says he'll call for more Iraq troop withdrawals | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Petraeus says he'll call for more Iraq troop withdrawals

Nancy A. Youssef - McClatchy Newspapers

May 22, 2008 01:19 PM

WASHINGTON — Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq, told Congress Thursday he expects to announce further troop withdrawals this fall because the security situation there continues to improve.

"My sense is that I will be able to make a recommendation at that time for some further reductions," Petraeus said.

But he also described the Iraqi government as politically stalled, saying U.S. hopes to hold critical provincial elections likely will not happen Oct. 1, as planned. Instead, if the Iraqi government passes the required election law, the elections could be held in November.

That Iraq could be more secure and yet not hold elections in time highlights the complex situation there, where an improved Iraqi Army is serving a fragmented government. Petraeus said Iraq had the lowest number of incidents last week in nearly four years. Next week will likely be even lower.

Petraeus appeared alongside Lt. Gen. Raymond T. Odierno before the Senate Armed Services committee for confirmation hearings. Petraeus is slated to be the new U.S. Central Command commander. President Bush nominated Odierno to replace Petraeus as the top commander in Iraq.

The hearing itself is largely perfunctory as both generals are expected to be confirmed. Instead, the hearing turned into a broad discussion about U.S. strategy in Iraq and Afghanistan, and how to deal with Iran and Syria, which the Bush administration has called threats to the region.

Petraeus last appeared before the committee six weeks ago to give his assessment of the security situation in Iraq. During that hearing, he said that after the five surge brigades left Iraq this summer, he would need a 45-day assessment period to determine further withdrawals.

But shortly after that hearing, Adm. William "Fox" Fallon abruptly resigned as the CENTCOM commander, and Bush nominated Petraeus. On Thursday, he promised a recommendation on troop reductions before he moves to his new post.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service