China likely to beat U.S. back to the moon, NASA says | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

China likely to beat U.S. back to the moon, NASA says

Robert S. Boyd - McClatchy Newspapers

June 04, 2008 02:20 PM

WASHINGTON — Here's one Olympic-style event that China is likely to win: landing the next humans on the moon.

Chinese astronauts are on schedule to beat the United States back to the moon by two or three years, the head of NASA's lunar exploration program said Wednesday.

``If they keep on the path they're on, they can" land before Americans do, said Rick Gilbreth, NASA's associate administrator for exploration systems.

The goal of NASA's Constellation program is to return astronauts to the moon by 2020, as proposed in President Bush's Vision for Space Exploration. Gilbreth said the Chinese could accomplish that by 2017 or 2018.

The Chinese lead will be even longer if the American schedule slips, as some space experts predict.

Beating the U.S. back to the moon would be a feather in a resurgent China's cap with psychological as well as military implications. Last year, China became the first nation in the world to shoot down a space satellite, setting off alarm bells in the Pentagon. Some defense analysts foresee a long-range competition between the U.S. and China for future military control of space.

America is still far ahead of China in space. The Chinese are aiming to duplicate a feat that this country accomplished almost 40 years ago. The first two Apollo astronauts landed on the moon in 1969, when Richard Nixon was in the White House.

In addition, NASA's back-to-the-moon program is substantially bolder than China's.

``They're taking an Apollo-like approach,'' Gilbreth said. ``Our program is much more ambitious than Apollo. We're going to put four people on the moon for seven days, eventually for six months. China is looking for a minimum capability. We're looking to put an outpost on the moon.''

He called China's space program ``very impressive,'' but said, ``We're not in a race. We're going for the long haul.''

China's interest in space dates to the 1950s. It sent up its first satellite in 1970, lofted its first astronaut into space in 2003 and launched a mission to orbit the moon in 2007.

Russia has landed robots on the moon but not humans.

NASA's new Lunar Reconnaissance Orbit is scheduled to launch this November. The first unmanned test flight of Orion, the next lunar lander, won't come until 2015.

As for the 2020 target for U.S. astronauts to land on the moon, a blue-ribbon panel of space experts recently expressed doubt that the timetable will be met.

``Human missions to the moon by the year 2020 ... are exceedingly unlikely,'' Kathryn Thornton, a member of the panel and a University of Virginia engineering professor, told the House Science Committee on April 3.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service