New Iraqi operation against militants produces scant resistance | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

New Iraqi operation against militants produces scant resistance

Hannah Allam and Ali al Basri - McClatchy Newspapers

June 19, 2008 05:23 PM

BAGHDAD — Iraqi security forces met little resistance Thursday on Day 1 of the government's crackdown in the southern city of Amarah as they sought to disarm gunmen loyal to the militant Shiite Muslim cleric Muqtada al Sadr.

Iraqi defense officials said there were no casualties or gun battles as military and national police units easily spread through northern Amarah, a mostly Shiite oil and agricultural city that borders Iran and for decades has served as a smuggling hub.

The Iraqi military announced the arrests Thursday of 17 suspected militants, including Rafia Abdul Jabbar, the region's acting deputy governor who is also the top city administrator in Amarah.

"The city is quiet even though the operation has started, and I haven't heard a gun-shot or the sound of a plane," said Faiq Hanoun, 55, an Amarah resident. "Life is going on in the normal fashion. Markets are open and movement in and out of the city hasn't stopped."

Just months ago, such a campaign almost certainly would have met fierce opposition from the Sadr followers who control just about every aspect of life in Amarah, where widespread poverty has made it fertile recruiting ground. However, unlike recent, more violent operations in the nearby city of Basra or in the Baghdad district of Sadr City, the path to Amarah had been smoothed beforehand by negotiations and a four-day grace period in which militants were told to surrender their weapons or face arrest.

Neither side could have afforded another protracted, bloody battle. The weakened and fragmented Sadr movement needs time to regroup, while the Iraqi government seeks to bolster its image as a unifying force ahead of the fall provincial elections.

Still, some Amarah residents warned there could be clashes if the operation moves into the area's famous marshes, which long have served as the perfect hideout for fugitives, smugglers and political dissidents. Shiite opposition forces often sought refuge in the tall reeds during the reign of the late dictator Saddam Hussein. Many Mahdi Army suspects are believed to have slipped into the marshes ahead of the Amarah operation.

"For sure, the operations will expand into the marshes because there are important targets there," said Abdel Kareem Khalaf, spokesman for the Iraqi interior ministry.

U.S. and British troops are playing an advisory role and providing air cover for the Iraqi-led operation dubbed "Good Tidings and Peace." Locals said coalition helicopters were the only visible sign of foreign involvement in the raids. They added that weapons presumably belonging to the Mahdi Army were left abandoned in canals, cemeteries and other deserted areas.

Raed Huzi, an English teacher in Amarah, said he was torn over whether to leave his wife and children home alone and report to class to conduct final exams for his students. His neighborhood was among the first to be cordoned off and searched by the Iraqi forces Thursday.

"I made up my mind that the students should have their examinations because their futures depend on teachers like me making sure the exams proceed," Huzi said. "Luckily, things passed well. Only one soldier entered my house and he asked at the gate whether we have a gun or not. My wife told him that we don't have any guns at home and the soldier searched one room and left."

Top aides to Sadr had pledged to comply with the government searches as long as there weren't arbitrary arrests or human rights violations. The government, in turn, had assured senior Sadrist officials that security forces would respect the rights and property of residents and would refrain from arresting men solely because of Mahdi Army membership; only fighters suspected of serious crimes face detention.

On Wednesday, 12 Amarah policemen were arrested on charges that they stashed weapons and explosives inside a jail, according to the Maysan province's police command. But the Iraqi government appears to be adopting a carrot-and-stick approach in dealing with Sadr's followers. Iraqi officials met with Amarah's tribal leaders Thursday morning in hopes of recruiting some 3,000 local men for the national security forces, said Mohamed Jabbar of the provincial council.

Sadr's aides and Amarah residents reported only minor violations of the understanding between the government and the Sadrists. Adnan al Silawi, the head of the Sadr office in Amarah, said Iraqi security forces manhandled some locals and cursed the Sadr movement during the searches. Iraqi leaders said they would investigate the claims and make clear that such conduct was unacceptable. Silawi added that one of the Sadr office's employees, Haider Owdeh, was detained Thursday.

(Allam reported from Baghdad, McClatchy special correspondent Basri from Amarah. Special correspondents Hussein Kadhim and Mohammed al Dulaimy contributed to this article from Baghdad.)

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service