Mugabe declared winner of discredited Zimbabwe vote | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Mugabe declared winner of discredited Zimbabwe vote

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

June 29, 2008 03:58 PM

HARARE, Zimbabwe — President Robert Mugabe was declared the overwhelming winner Sunday of an election marred by the murders of scores of political opponents, death threats against voters and widespread international condemnation.

Mugabe was the only candidate in the race, his opponent having withdrawn a week earlier in protest of mounting violence against his supporters. Government election officials said Mugabe won about 85 percent of the vote, a tally that opposition party officials dismissed as meaningless.

The 84-year-old leader was immediately sworn in for a sixth term on the lawns of the presidential mansion and treated to a 21-gun salute. The stately ceremony marked a surreal end to a campaign that left at least 86 opposition supporters dead and many hundreds maimed or missing.

Mugabe was expected to depart Sunday night for Egypt to attend a major summit of African Union leaders, where Zimbabwe's political crisis will be at the top of the agenda. Several African heads of state have condemned the election and called for negotiations between Mugabe and opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai, although stalwart allies of Mugabe, such as South Africa, are likely to block more punitive measures.

The U.S.-based advocacy group Human Rights Watch called on African nations to impose sanctions on Mugabe's regime and bar any Zimbabwean official who participated in election violence from political negotiations.

"The African Union can help end the violence in Zimbabwe by taking the strongest possible action against Robert Mugabe and his government," Georgette Gagnon, Africa director at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement.

A spokesman for Tsvangirai's party, Nelson Chamiza, said African leaders had "a chance to help Zimbabwe, and we hope they are going to live up to the task."

Friday's runoff election followed a first-round vote in March, in which Tsvangirai won 48 percent to Mugabe's 43 percent, but not enough votes to secure an outright win. It was Mugabe's first-ever defeat in a presidential poll in 28 years in power, and it precipitated a brutal nationwide crackdown on opponents by fearsome youth militias loyal to the ruling ZANU-PF party.

In the days leading up to the vote, Zimbabweans said that militias went door-to-door in parts of the country warning people that they'd be beaten or killed if they didn't vote for Mugabe. Following the runoff, many voters were ordered to produce ink-stained fingers — evidence that they'd cast a ballot — or the serial numbers on their ballot papers, accounts that were confirmed by independent election observers.

Observers said that voter turnout was extremely low, but government election officials on Sunday reported 42 percent turnout — roughly the same as in the March election. That time, however, it took more than five weeks for officials to produce results.

After the result was certified, Mugabe invited Tsvangirai to attend the inauguration. Tsvangirai declined. Chamiza, the opposition spokesman, called the invitation "a big joke."

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service