China scurries to quell social tensions before Olympics | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

China scurries to quell social tensions before Olympics

Tim Johnson - McClatchy Newspapers

June 30, 2008 10:02 AM

BEIJING — Senior leaders exhorted local officials to deal more quickly with festering social tensions that might tarnish the upcoming Olympics as censors tried to snuff out all news about a weekend riot in southern China.

Municipalities across China posted reports Monday on their official Web sites about a weekend teleconference demanding greater efforts to portray China as a stable nation around the Aug. 8-24 Beijing Olympics.

"We should work harder and harder to ensure social stability," Yang Wenhua, the Communist Party secretary of Xianghe County in Hebei province, was quoted as saying.

Zhou Yongkang, a former public security minister who's among the ruling party's most senior leaders, addressed local officials during the teleconference.

"To ensure the smooth hosting of the Beijing Olympic Games ... we must resolve complaints and ensure social stability and harmony," said a report on the teleconference posted on the Web site of Deqing city in Zhejiang province.

"From now on, we should go on a war footing.'

More than 10,000 protesters swept through the streets of Weng'an City in Guizhou province of southern China on Saturday, setting fire to a police station and county office building to protest the death of a 15-year-old middle school student who reportedly had been in the custody of local authorities. The riots lasted nearly until dawn Sunday, witnesses said.

The Weng'an unrest is the most serious to erupt since an earthquake May 12 in Sichuan province, which killed as many as 80,000 people, made scores of schools collapse and triggered complaints of shoddy construction among angry parents. Wary that the anger might resonate elsewhere, Beijing opened an inquiry into the quality of school construction in quake-stricken areas.

Every year, thousands of demonstrations and protests roil provincial and rural China, often sparked by disputes with authorities over alleged land grabs, corruption or disregard for citizens' safety.

Officials in some provincial areas are a law onto themselves, controlling courts, allowing abuses to go unresolved and providing no effective outlet for grievances.

The unrest in Weng'an began after word spread that local thugs beat the student's uncle to death after he went to police to complain that they'd released the key suspect in his niece's murder. Many of the protesters were enraged middle school students.

The girl's body was found floating in the Ximen River on June 21.

China Daily, an official English-language newspaper, offered a three-paragraph story on the unrest Monday, saying protesters were "angered by the officials' alleged attempt to cover up a murder case of a girl student."

As reports filtered to the Internet that the girl had been raped and killed after refusing to let the son of the local security chief copy from her test for key high school entrance exams, censors deleted posts about the incident.

The unrest mirrored rioting in the Sichuan province city of Dazhu early last year, where angry residents burned down a high-rise hotel frequented by party officials after a 16-year-old hostess was found dead there, and police said that she'd died of natural causes.

Family members later charged that local security officials had raped and murdered her, then tried to cover up the death and dispose of the body.

(McClatchy special correspondent Hua Li contributed to this report.)

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service