Iraqi athletes banned from the Summer Games | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraqi athletes banned from the Summer Games

Nicholas Spangler and Sahar Issa - McClatchy Newspapers

July 24, 2008 05:19 PM

BAGHDAD — Five Iraqi athletes invited to the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games have been barred from competing in August, the International Olympic Committee said Thursday.

"We suspended (the Iraqi National Olympic Committee) back in June because of the clear interference of the government," spokeswoman Emmanuelle Moreau said. "When we did that we also invited the Iraqi government to discuss possible solutions, but we haven't received any positive response from them."

The athletes -- one each in judo, archery and weightlifting, and two in rowing -- had been training with financial support provided by the IOC, according to an IOC spokeswoman. But as of Wednesday, the entry deadline for most Olympic events, Iraq had no recognized Olympic committee to enter a team.

Iraq disbanded its committee in May, saying it had failed to hold required elections, and replaced its members with government appointees. A month later, the IOC announced it would not recognize the new committee and called for reinstatement of the old one. Iraq refused.

There remains a slim chance for Iraqis to compete in track and field, where the entry deadline is the end of this month. Under track and field rules, each NOC has the right to send one male and one female athlete to the Olympics. "Provided the Iraqi government moves and reinstates the National Olympic Committee, there is still some hope," Moreau said.

Spokesmen for the Iraqi National Olympic Committee and Ministry of Sport could not be reached for comment. The head of the committee said he had not received any formal announcement of the ban.

"I think it is not fair," said Entifadh Qanbar, a former adviser to the committee who quit in June. "I don't think we're going to win any medals -- that's difficult to say -- but this would have been a very positive thing in light of the recent security (situation), and very important psychologically for the Iraqi people."

Dozens of Iraqi athletes, coaches and athletic officials have been killed since the war began, and 30 employees of the committee were kidnapped in 2006. Many athletes have trained outside the country since then.

Spangler reports for The Miami Herald. Issa is a McClatchy special correspondent in Baghdad.

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service