Moscow paper claims Russian bomber crews visited Cuba | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Moscow paper claims Russian bomber crews visited Cuba

Tom Lasseter - McClatchy Newspapers

July 24, 2008 08:35 PM

MOSCOW — The Russian newspaper Izvestia reported Thursday that crews from Russian strategic bombers capable of carrying nuclear weapons have surveyed sites in Cuba for possible refueling stopovers.

The newspaper reported on Monday that Russia was considering the move.

The Russian defense ministry said Thursday that there was no plan to deploy bombers to Cuba and called the earlier anonymous allegations carried by Izvestia "disinformation" and a "media hoax," according to state news service Interfax. However, Izvestia, which is controlled by Gazprom, a state-owned gas company that many consider a mouthpiece of Russia's ruling elite, didn't withdraw its initial report.

Although the White House called the Izvestia account "speculative," Gen. Norton Schwartz, the nominee to be Air Force chief of staff, said this week that the appearance of Russian nuclear-capable planes in Cuba would be "something that crosses a threshold, crosses a red line for the United States of America."

Izvestia's latest account, which quoted unnamed defense ministry officials, said the crews' visit didn't mean that Russian bombers had landed on the island just south of Florida.

It wasn't immediately clear Thursday evening how to reconcile the report in Izvestia and the defense ministry statement. Many Russian analysts so far have regarded the escalating rhetoric as just that — verbal jousting between the U.S. and Russia over U.S. plans to build a missile defense shield in two former Soviet satellite countries in Eastern Europe.

Adding to the confusion, former Cuban President Fidel Castro released a statement on Wednesday saying that the current president, his brother Raul, had done the right thing by maintaining "dignified silence" during the dustup. Castro didn't indicate whether the reports of plans for Russian bombers in Cuba, an echo of the 1962 Cuban missile crisis, were true.

Despite the Russian government's denunciation of the stories, it's unlikely that news media closely affiliated with the government would have reported them without government knowledge and acquiescence.

Another state news agency, RIA Novosti, carried the Izvestia story and added that: "At present, the Russian military is considering the possibility of establishing so-called 'jump-up' bases in various regions of the world to provide refueling and maintenance support for the patrolling bombers."

The RIA Novosti story also paraphrased Gen. of the Army Pyotr Deinekin, a former commander of the Russian Air Force, saying that the use of forward airfields in Latin America "would practically erase the time constraints for the Russian bombers and make their presence near the U.S. borders almost permanent." (It wasn't clear if RIA Novosti was repeating the general's remarks to Izvestia, which also quoted him.)

The flap over Cuba, and news on Tuesday that Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez was in Russia to buy $1 billion worth of weapons systems and broker oil deals, come during a bitter disagreement between the United States and Russia over the Bush administration's plans to build a missile defense shield in Poland and the Czech Republic.

The reports of Russian military activities in Cuba and Venezuela could be intended as an obvious counterpoint to U.S. military activities in the Czech Republic and Poland.

The Bush administration has said repeatedly that the missile defense system is intended as a defense against Iran. But Russian officials say the shield could be intended to neutralize Russia's nuclear missiles, the cornerstone of its strategic deterrent. Conventional Russian military forces are far less capable than their American counterparts.

Col. Gen. Viktor Yesin, the former commander of the Russian strategic missiles forces headquarters, told Interfax Thursday that while the missile shield in its proposed form wouldn't pose a threat to Russia, there are worries that it could expand.

"Whether there will be 10 or 1,000 rockets is unclear," Yesin said, according to Interfax. "We are naturally concerned about the presence of strategic infrastructure near our borders."

Yesin said that if the U.S. shield is built, Russia might resume its Soviet-era program of developing mobile ballistic missiles. Yesin, now a senior leader of a government defense think tank, said that Russia also could deploy missile systems and bombers to the Kaliningrad region, which borders Poland.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Bush-Putin summit does little to relieve U.S.-Russia strains

April 06, 2008 01:11 PM

world

Angry at Bush, Russia considers closer Venezuela, Cuba ties

July 22, 2008 06:46 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service