Some Iraq athletes will go to Olympics | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Some Iraq athletes will go to Olympics

Nicholas Spangler and Laith Hammoudi - McClatchy Newspapers

July 29, 2008 07:09 PM

BAGHDAD — The phone rang late last night, and Haider Nasir's world flipped once more.

"Congratulations," said Dr. Talib Faisal, the head of the interim Iraqi Track and Field Federation. "You're going to the Olympics."

Just six days ago, the 27-year-old discus thrower had been told his Olympic dreams were over — dashed by the International Olympic Committee's suspension of Iraq's National Olympic Committee.

But a seven-hour meeting ended 9 p.m. Tuesday in Lausanne, Switzerland with an agreement that will let Nasir and sprinter Dina Hussein compete at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Five other Iraqi athletes will not be allowed to compete, however, because the entry deadlines for their events have already passed.

An Iraqi negotiating team led by Ali al Dabbagh, chief spokesman of the Iraqi government, flew to Lausanne on Sunday to complete the agreement. An IOC spokeswoman said the accord was "not totally unexpected." Giselle Davies said the two sides had talked over the weekend and "and on that basis we invited them to Lausanne to formalize what had verbally been agreed."

"I feel so happy tonight I will not sleep," said Nasir, reached at his Najaf home. "I'm so happy! It's 180 degrees from what I was feeling before."

Nasir's coach, Saad Jasim, called him minutes after he got the news. "Be in Baghdad next week," he said. "We're training."

Iraq's participation in the Olympics had been in doubt since June, when the International Olympic Committee suspended the Iraqi National Olympic Committee for government interference after the Iraqi government replaced the NOC's members. The Iraqi government said the suspension was unfair and accused the NOC of not fulfilling its duties.

According to a statement on the IOC Web site, the agreement calls for the election of a new Iraqi NOC no later than the end of November. The election will be overseen by the IOC and the Olympic Council of Asia, in cooperation with the Iraqi government.

"Both parties were really pleased," said Emmanuelle Moreau, an IOC spokeswoman. "People were really happy." There was a formal signing ceremony; then, Moreau said, everybody shook hands.

The Iraqi forum on Koora, a popular Arabic sports Web site, lit up as soon as word got out. "Alif alif mabrook!" wrote one poster, Furat Ahmad: "One thousand thousand congratulations! This is a big victory over the conspirators against Iraqi sport."

Nasir flies to Beijing August 6.

Discus thrower's Olympic dreams are crushed

Afghanistan more deadly for U.S. troops than Iraq so far in July

Petraeus won't join bandwagon for Iraq withdrawal timetable

For first time, Bush agrees to 'time horizon' for Iraq pullout

Stevens indictment likely to make a bad year worse for GOP

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service