Bin Laden driver's story to go Hollywood | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Bin Laden driver's story to go Hollywood

Carol Rosenberg - The Miami Herald

August 13, 2008 03:20 PM

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVY BASE, Cuba — It's true that a production company owned by Hollywood heartthrob George Clooney optioned the story of Osama bin Laden's driver.

Not quite true are tabloid reports that Clooney is reserving for himself the role of retired Lt. Cmdr. Charlie Swift, the former Navy JAG officer who championed the case of driver Salim Hamdan from the prison camps to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Hollywood publicist Stan Rosenfield told The Miami Herald by telephone Tuesday that Grant Heslov, who wrote Good Night, and Good Luck with Clooney, optioned a recently released book on the Hamdan case by New York writer Jonathan Mahler.

Heslov and Clooney are partners in the Smoke House production company.

''There's been no decision on casting, directing or anything of that nature,'' said Rosenfield, Clooney's publicist.

''They do intend to develop it as a motion picture,'' Rosenfield said, but not necessarily any time soon. "This is a long process. Sometimes it takes 10 years.''

Hamdan, 40, is the lone war court convict at Guantanamo.

A military jury convicted him of providing material support for terrorism last week and sentenced him to time served plus less than five months, meaning he could be eligible for release at New Year's.

Under Bush administration policy, Hamdan can also be held here indefinitely as an ''enemy combatant'' -- as long as there is a war on terror and Defense Department officials independently deem him too dangerous to go home to his native Yemen.

The full title of the Mahler book is The Challenge: Hamdan v Rumsfeld and the Fight over Presidential Power.

It tells the tale of the civilian and military lawyers who took Hamdan's case to the U.S. Supreme Court and eventually sunk the White House's first draft of a plan to try Guantánamo detainees by military commission.

Hamdan had maintained his innocence from his very first meeting behind the razor wire here with Pentagon-appointee Swift in 2004. He said he took the job of driving bin Laden in Afghanistan for the money -- $200 a month -- and at his trial apologized to the six U.S. military jurors for any pain his work had caused.

The jury acquitted the father of two with a fourth-grade education of a second charge of conspiracy that sought to hold him responsible for a worldwide string of al Qaeda terror.

Rosenfield declined to say how much the company paid for the movie rights.

Mahler likewise declined to comment on the details.

''I'm thrilled that the book is in the hands of such quality filmmakers,'' he said by e-mail from New York, ``and have no doubt that they're going to do justice to this extraordinary story.''

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service