In Georgia, Russia appears to break pledge to pull back | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

In Georgia, Russia appears to break pledge to pull back

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

August 20, 2008 06:38 PM

POTI, Georgia — Digging into Georgian territory despite promises to withdraw, Russian forces plowed ground Wednesday for what residents feared were two new checkpoints near this strategic Black Sea port.

Tractors turned over fresh earth along a riverbank outside Poti, while Western news reporters said Russian soldiers in central Georgia appeared to be building a sentry post 30 miles from the Georgian capital, Tbilisi.

Russian military officials in Moscow said they planned to construct a "security zone" along the border of South Ossetia, the pro-Russian breakaway province where fighting began on Aug. 7, that will include 18 checkpoints manned by hundreds of soldiers.

A cease-fire agreement between Russia and Georgia allows Russia to maintain troops along the South Ossetian border. But the activity outside Poti, 170 miles west of Tbilisi, was well outside that zone and appeared to be in defiance of the agreement, which calls for Russia to withdraw its forces to pre-Aug. 7 positions.

In a clearing just outside Poti, where two Russian tanks sat alongside mounds of freshly dug soil, a Russian officer refused to say what his troops were building there. He shooed away a handful of Western reporters by saying he wasn't authorized to answer questions.

Col. Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn, the deputy head of the Russian military's general staff, told reporters in Moscow that Russian actions were part of a peacekeeping mission to monitor South Ossetia and another pro-Russian separatist region, Abkhazia, 20 miles north of Poti, where there's been limited fighting.

"Russian peacekeepers are fulfilling their functions and we are also preparing to set up additional checkpoints," Nogovitsyn said, according to a transcript.

Under the terms of last week's cease-fire agreement between Georgia and Russia, however, Russia has been able to define who its peacekeepers will be and what "security measures" they may take. In addition, the accord, brokered by French President Nicolas Sarkozy, doesn't refer to preserving the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Georgia.

The conflict, which began when Georgia mounted an offensive in South Ossetia and Russia responded by sending troops into Georgia, has set off a diplomatic confrontation between Russia and Western nations reminiscent of the Cold War.

President Bush continued to back ally Georgia, saying in a speech in Orlando, Fla., that South Ossetia and Abkhazia were part of Georgia and that the U.S. would work to ensure the country's territorial integrity. Bush administration officials have said that the Russian withdrawal needs to proceed faster.

Russia continues to have its way on the ground, however. While Nogovitsyn said that troops were pulling back from South Ossetia and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said that all his forces would be withdrawn by Friday, little of that was apparent to Westerners in Georgia.

Georgian soldiers who were captured in a raid on Poti's seaport Tuesday remained in Russian custody in the western town of Senaki, officials in Poti said. The port's director of operations, Vladimir Khokhbaia, who visited the prisoners late Tuesday, said that 22 Georgian soldiers had been captured, two more than was originally reported.

The men — many of whom were bound and blindfolded as they were carted away aboard Russian armored personnel carriers and four U.S.-made Humvees taken from an adjacent coast guard pier — were being held at a Georgian military base that's been taken over by Russian soldiers.

Russian commanders in Senaki told Georgian officials that they'd release the men Wednesday afternoon, Khokhbaia said. By nightfall, however, the men were still being held.

Members of the Russian media were invited to the military base Tuesday to photograph the captives, who were wearing full or partial Georgian military uniforms, Khokhbaia said. Georgian officials who visited the Senaki base were told that Russian troops acted in their capacity as peacekeepers monitoring Georgia's border with Abkhazia.

As for the seized Humvees, which were used in joint U.S.-Georgian military exercises recently and due to be shipped back to the U.S., Nogovitsyn seemed to indicate that Russia would return them.

"We don't need trophy arms," he said. "It's not our style."

(McClatchy special correspondent Julie Sell in Vienna contributed to this article.)

More from McClatchy:

Pentagon, White House at odds over aid to Georgia

NATO takes no decisive steps to force Russian withdrawal

Russia-Georgia war sharpens voters' doubts about Obama, McCain

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service