Cease-fire pact may give Russians cover to stay in Georgia | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Cease-fire pact may give Russians cover to stay in Georgia

Julie Sell - McClatchy Newspapers

August 21, 2008 06:16 PM

VIENNA, Austria — European security officials think that a cease-fire agreement between Russia and Georgia, brokered by French President Nicolas Sarkozy, is so vaguely worded that Russia can argue that it's fulfilling its obligations under the pact, even if it doesn't withdraw troops to the positions they held before fighting broke out Aug. 7.

Russia has continued to keep large numbers of troops in Georgia and is building permanent checkpoints there. Russian officials said Wednesday that they planned to construct a "security zone" along the border of South Ossetia, the pro-Russian breakaway Georgian province where fighting began, that will include 18 checkpoints manned by hundreds of soldiers.

Russian troops also were preparing ground Wednesday for what residents think will be two new checkpoints near the strategic Black Sea port of Poti and were building a sentry post 30 miles from the Georgian capital, Tbilisi. Both locations are far from where the fighting occurred.

Georgia and its allies argue that the new installations violate the agreement, which they believe called for all Russian troops to be out of the country by now.

However, security officials who are familiar with the document said that it allowed Russia to keep "peacekeepers" on the ground, without defining their responsibilities and who they'd be. It also allows the "peacekeepers" to pursue "security measures," without defining what those might entail.

"Russia has everything they need in those principles," said one European security expert, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic.

Russia also is benefitting from confusion over how many troops it had in Georgia before the fighting broke out.

Under the auspices of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, a regional security organization to which Russia belongs, an armed peacekeeping force under Russian command had been in South Ossetia for years.

That joint force comprised 500 troops each from Russia and Georgia as well as the ethnically connected enclaves of South Ossetia in Georgia and North Ossetia in Russia.

The peacekeepers ostensibly were being monitored by eight unarmed military monitors, including one Russian, under the auspices of the OSCE. Security officials acknowledge, however, that eight monitors couldn't keep track of everything that 2,000 peacekeepers were doing.

Now, European officials said, it's hard to know how many Russian troops were already in Georgia before the fighting began.

Officials blame the vagueness of the agreement on the way it was negotiated.

An original draft, proposed to Russian leaders by Alexander Stubb, the Finnish foreign minister and the OSCE chairman, contained four points, a cornerstone of which was respect for Georgia's territorial integrity and sovereignty, including the disputed regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Then Sarkozy and French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner cranked up their diplomatic activity. Acting on behalf of the European Union — France holds the rotating EU presidency — they negotiated intensely with the Georgian and Russian leaders in the days after the OSCE made its proposal.

By the time Sarkozy and Russian President Dmitry Medvedev announced a cease-fire agreement Aug. 12, the four-point plan had become a six-point plan. The premise of Georgian territorial integrity and sovereignty had disappeared and the discussion of "peacekeepers" and "security measures" added.

"The Russians have very specific ideas, and they control the situation on the ground," said a security expert with detailed knowledge of the conflict zone, who also asked not to be identified.

(Sell is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Edgy Georgians now thinking about resisting invasion

August 21, 2008 04:58 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service