Experts: Bush's Iraq withdrawal small because gains are, too | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Experts: Bush's Iraq withdrawal small because gains are, too

Nancy A. Youssef and Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

September 09, 2008 07:23 PM

WASHINGTON — President Bush's announcement Tuesday that he'll maintain troop levels in Iraq through the end of his presidency suggests that despite his claim that the surge of additional U.S. troops in Iraq has succeeded, the security gains could be temporary, defense officials and experts said.

"Here is the bottom line: While the enemy in Iraq is still dangerous, we have seized the offensive, and the Iraqi forces are becoming increasingly capable of leading and winning the fight," Bush said Tuesday in a speech before the National Defense University.

Bush, however, announced that he'll order only 8,000 more combat troops to leave Iraq by February, the month after his presidency ends, reducing the number there to about 138,000.

A Marine battalion and an Army brigade combat team from the Army's 10th Mountain Division that had been scheduled to deploy to Iraq will go to Afghanistan instead, Bush said.

U.S. defense officials said the president's decision to withdraw only 8,000 soldiers from Iraq reflects a persistent concern among top commanders that the improvements in security could be temporary and that renewed violence could erupt. Officials fear that Iran might reactivate the Shiite Muslim militias it's armed and trained and that the Sunni group al Qaida in Iraq is trying to reestablish itself in Mosul, Iraq's third-largest city.

Ret. Army Lt. Col. John Nagl, who helped craft the military's new counterinsurgency doctrine with Iraq commander Gen. David Petraeus, said that while the drawdown is small, the U.S. is winning — but withdrawing too soon could undermine that success.

"The security gains are real and tangible but fragile," said Nagl, who visited Iraq last month. "If you declare victory too soon, whether in a province or the whole country, al Qaida can come back. And it is a whole lot less work and a whole lot less blood spilled keeping them out once you have cleared an area than it is pulling out prematurely and then having to go back and clear them out again."

Bush's plan appears to fall short of demands by the Iraqi government for a withdrawal timetable. Mohammed al Askari, an Iraqi defense ministry spokesman, said Tuesday that Iraq is "moving in the right direction" and because of that the administration is "obliged to reduce its forces in Iraq within an acceptable time frame that ends in complete withdrawal."

The Iraqi government's inability to schedule provincial elections, however, has raised concerns in other parts of the U.S. military leadership, defense officials told McClatchy. The elections were supposed to be held next month; they could be postponed until summer.

Although Bush said that he plans to apply the lessons of the Iraq surge to Afghanistan, experts said the U.S. doesn't have enough troops to do that.

In Afghanistan, defense officials said, the president's decision would provide a net increase of about 1,500 U.S. troops, almost all of them helicopter crews, military police and logistics units attached to the Army brigade bound for Helmand province, the center of Afghanistan's illicit narcotics trade.

Bush said the troops in Afghanistan would do things similar to their missions in Iraq — train local forces, protect democratic institutions and regain control of the security situation. As in Iraq, the president said, the State Department would send more provincial reconstruction teams to Afghanistan to rebuild local economies.

But they'll do so with far fewer troops. There currently are 146,000 U.S. troops in Iraq and 33,000 in Afghanistan, a country about 50 percent larger than Iraq where the Islamist insurgency is gaining strength.

Marvin Weinbaum, a scholar at the non-partisan Middle East Institute, said that given Afghanistan's complex tribal system, mountainous terrain and poor infrastructure, the U.S. would have to send 100,000 troops to have any sustainable impact.

"It's a decision built out of desperation," Weinbaum said.

(Nick Spangler of The Miami Herald contributed from Baghdad)

Iraq is safer, but the war isn't over, U.S. commander says

For the first time, Bush agrees to 'time horizon' for Iraq pullout

Petraeus won't join bandwagon for Iraq withdrawal timetable

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Iraqi parliament still gridlocked over provincial-election law

September 09, 2008 08:20 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service