Suicide bomber attacks coming-home party in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Suicide bomber attacks coming-home party in Iraq

Nicholas Spangler and Mohammed al Dulaimy - McClatchy Newspapers

September 15, 2008 06:39 PM

BAGHDAD — A woman wearing a suicide vest blew herself up Monday at a coming-home party for an Iraqi police sergeant detained by U.S. forces for almost a year, killing 22 people and wounding 33, a high-ranking official said.

The party was thrown for Adnan Shukri al Timimi at his house, not far from the police station in Balad Ruz, a city 30 miles southeast of Baquba, the capital of Diyala province. Timimi was killed along with his parents and 11 high-ranking police officials, including the chief of the local station, said the official in the Iraqi-led Diyala Operations Center, who asked not to be identified because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

Also killed were at least eight children, some of them related to Timimi.

It was not clear what Timimi had been charged with, but police said he'd been accused of collaborating with an Iranian-backed militia. Police said he'd been detained at the U.S.-run Camp Bucca, a detention center in Basra, but the U.S. military did not confirm that.

The agriculturally rich, religiously mixed Diyala province saw some of the most vicious sectarian fighting of the last five years. The province remained a stronghold for the terrorist group al Qaida in Iraq even after its leader, Abu Musab al Zarqawi, was killed there in 2006.

Iraqi security forces backed by the U.S. military flooded Diyala in midsummer for Operation Glad Tidings, arresting members of AQI and other insurgents and tightening the border with Iran. That operation is ongoing, and while military patrols rarely come under direct fire, police continue to be targeted by roadside bombs and suicide bombers. At least 12 female suicide bombers have blown themselves up in Diyala in the last eight months, many believed to have al Qaida in Iraq connections.

"Al Qaida does remain lethal and dangerous, and we have seen that," Gen. David Petraeus, the outgoing commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, told McClatchy last month. "We are reminded of that by . . . you know, most recently, suicide vest attacks by women. But obviously al Qaida is enormously diminished by any measure that you want."

At a media conference last week, the Iraqi minister of defense, Abd Al-Qadir Al Ubeidi, mentioned Balad Ruz in particular as one of the areas in Diyala that had been "cleansed" during the recent operation.

(Spangler reports for The Miami Herald. Dulaimy is a McClatchy special correspondent in Baghdad. A McClatchy special correspondent in Diyala contributed to this article but is not named for security reasons.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iraqi forces move en masse against insurgent hotbed

Looking for suicide bombers in Iraq is no easy task

Violence continues in Iraqi province despite amnesty offer

Iraqi army raid in Diyala leaves provincial official dead

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service