Iraqis take over security of once-violent province | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraqis take over security of once-violent province

Corinne Reilly - McClatchy Newspapers

October 23, 2008 01:59 PM

BAGHDAD — The U.S. military formally handed control over Babil province to Iraqi security forces during a ceremony Thursday morning in the once-violent central state.

The Iraqi army and local police are now responsible for security in 12 of Iraq's 18 provinces, though U.S. forces continue to assist across the country.

A statement by the U.S. Embassy here called Thursday's handover "a positive step on the path to Iraq's self-reliance."

Babil is a mainly Shiite Muslim province, though it includes Sunni Muslim areas that are part of the region once known to U.S. forces as Iraq's "triangle of death." Babil is named for the ruins of ancient Babylon, which are still there today.

Speaking at the ceremony in Hilla, Babil's capital, Lt. Gen. Lloyd Austin, the No. 2 U.S. commander in Iraq, said security gains in the province had been astonishing. He added, however, that not all of Iraq's enemies have been defeated.

Iraqi security forces in Babil have been operating largely on their own for several months, the U.S. Embassy said.

Attacks still occur across the province, but far less frequently than a year ago. Babil's governor, Salem al Saleh Meslmawewho, also spoke during the ceremony. He attributed security improvements there to tribal leaders and former Sunni insurgents who've turned against violence to ally with U.S. forces.

"It is our pleasure to celebrate the handover of security responsibility for Babil," said Muwaffaq al Rubaie, Iraq's national security adviser, who attended the ceremony. "It is evidence that our security forces have reached a level of self-sufficiency and self-reliance."

The first province to take control of its own security after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion was Muthanna, in July 2006. Most recently, the U.S. military relinquished formal responsibility in Anbar province last month.

"We hope to finish the rest of the provinces in the near future, God willing," Rubaie said.

Besides the capital, four ethnically and religiously mixed provinces in northern Iraq remain under day-to-day U.S. control. In the south, Wasit province has yet to be turned over to Iraqi security forces.

In Baghdad on Thursday, just north of Babil, a suicide car bomber who was targeting a government convoy killed at least 13 people and wounded dozens more.

(Reilly reports for the Merced (Calif.) Sun-Star. McClatchy special correspondent Laith Hammoudi contributed to this story.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iraq's cabinet rejects current draft of U.S. troop accord

McCain evolved from reluctant warrior to interventionist

Thousands rally in Iraq against proposed U.S troop deal

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service