Treasury Department turns up pressure on Iran | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Treasury Department turns up pressure on Iran

Kevin G. Hall and Warren P. Strobel - McClatchy Newspapers

November 06, 2008 07:31 PM

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration Thursday ratcheted up the financial pressure on Iran by revoking an exemption that gave Iranian banks access to the U.S. financial system, but it stopped short of blacklisting the Islamic Republic's central bank.

The announcement coincided with the fall in oil prices, which has hurt Iran's economy and put political pressure on President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who faces elections next June. Ahmadinejad Thursday sent congratulations to President-elect Barack Obama, the first time an Iranian leader has done so since Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution.

In an effort to derail Iran's suspected nuclear weapons program, the administration already had invoked U.S. law and United Nations resolutions to blacklist five large Iranian state-owned banks. The action, however, still allowed Iran access to the U.S. banking system through third-country transactions.

This exception was called a "U-turn" provision because it allowed Iran to do business in dollars in the U.S. banking system through third countries that send the money back to Tehran, as if making a U-turn across traffic.

On Thursday, Stuart Levey, the undersecretary of the Treasury for terrorism and financial intelligence, said in effect that the Treasury would erect a "No U-turn" sign.

"Iran was using the existence of the U-turn exemption to hoodwink foreign banks into handling transactions for them," Levey told reporters in a news conference.

"They would say, 'Please handle this for us; don't mention there is any Iranian involvement,' and they were able to argue to financial institutions abroad that it was okay to do this because of the U-turn exemption, and therefore what the U.S. financial institution on the other end of the transaction didn't know wouldn't hurt anybody."

Now, he said, foreign financial institutions will know that their U.S. subsidiaries cannot conduct any business in the United States on behalf of Iran.

Earlier this year, when oil prices surged past $140 a barrel, scrapping the exemption would have been risky it could have sent prices even higher. Now with a global financial crisis at hand and oil trading at just over $60 a barrel, Iran has less room to retaliate.

Levey insisted that oil prices had nothing do with the action and acknowledged that the amount of money involved in U-turn transactions was "relatively small." He wouldn't offer even a ballpark figure, nor would he stipulate what U.S.-based foreign bank subsidiaries might be affected by Thursday's action.

U.S. banks have long avoided doing business with Iran because of the risk it poses to their reputation, so the action likely is intended to isolate Iran from European and Asian banks, said a U.S. banker familiar with financial sanctions. The banker spoke on the condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to discuss bank policies publicly.

There was no immediate reaction from European governments, who were informed only Thursday morning that the new sanctions would be announced.

U.S. officials claim that the tightening of sanctions is squeezing Iran's economy and making life uncomfortable for Ahmadinejad. They don't rule out further steps — including targeting Iran's central bank — during the 74 days that President Bush remains in office.

Thursday's actions prevent U-turn transactions not just by the blacklisted banks but also by any Iranian bank, including the central bank, which the Treasury thinks has been helping Iranian banks mask their international transactions.

But taking that next step and trying to shut Iran's central bank out of the global financial system appears unlikely.

"The central bank gets into a lot more complicated issues," said Matthew Levitt, a former deputy assistant secretary for intelligence at Treasury. "One of the things I think the Treasury Department does well is to weigh very carefully the potential anticipated and unanticipated consequences of their actions."

With the international financial system in crisis, it's not a good time to try to blacklist central banks, said Levitt, now a senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, a policy research organization.

President-elect Barack Obama pledged during the campaign to continue putting economic pressure on Iran, even as he's promised to engage in direct diplomacy with Iranian leaders.

Obama spokeswoman Wendy Morigi said in an e-mail Thursday that there'd be no comment on the Treasury move. Levey confirmed that the Obama team hadn't been consulted.

ON THE WEB

The Treasury Department announcement

Levey's prepared remarks

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

To ask a question about this story or any economic question, go to McClatchy's economy Q&A

Rahm Emanuel accepts post as Obama's staff chief

Obama faces an unsettled world on taking office

Bush plans to establish U.S. diplomatic post in Iran

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service