Iraq cabinet approves troop agreement with U.S. | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraq cabinet approves troop agreement with U.S.

Adam Ashton - McClatchy Newspapers

November 16, 2008 08:09 AM

BAGHDAD — Iraq's cabinet today approved a security pact that calls for Americans to withdraw from the country within three years. That action sets up a final vote on the agreement in Iraq's parliament.

Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki built political momentum for the agreement through the weekend, declaring his support and helping persuade leading Shiite Grand Ayatollah Ali al Sistani to give it the green light on Saturday.

Representatives of Maliki's Dawa party framed the deal as a means to end America’s occupation of Iraq while phasing out the assistance coalition forces provide. He reportedly bargained for concessions late last week before endorsing it Friday.

The agreement faces an uncertain outlook in parliament.

Anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr has urged Iraqis to demonstrate against the pact. His delegates on Friday announced they’d form a new resistance, called the Promised Day Brigade, to fight American forces.

“What the Iraqi government has done is a catastrophe because it's giving an authorization that we don’t know when it will end,” said Sadr spokesman Salah al Obeidi

Sunni parties, meanwhile, have indicated they'd prefer to send the agreement before voters as a referendum.

Nonetheless, the agreement won support from 27 of 28 cabinet ministers who voted today. Government spokesman Ali al Dabbagh did not say which minister opposed it. Nine ministers were absent from the vote.

The agreement calls for American forces to pull back from Iraqi cities by June 2009, and for nearly all of them to withdraw from the country by 2011.

Dabbagh stressed that the agreement cannot be modified to extend that timetable.

He highlighted a number of key points, such as:

-- Giving Iraqis control of the International Zone, the compound in central Baghdad that houses U.S. officials and Iraqi government ministries.

-- Requiring American forces to get the consent of Iraq government officials before searching homes or conducting raids.

-- Allowing Iraqis to search all American shipments into the country.

-- Prohibiting American forces from conducting raids in other countries from bases inside Iraq, such as a recent assault on a Syrian location from Iraqi soil.

If the agreement fails in Iraq's parliament, U.S. troops would have no legal framework for being in Iraq unless Iraq seeks an extension of the current United Nations mandate that allows American forces to operate in the country. That mandate expires Dec. 31.

American officials praised the cabinet vote.

“We welcome the cabinet’s approval of the agreement today. This is an important and positive step,” a U.S. embassy spokeswoman said.

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service