Maliki on Iraq TV calls for passage of troop pact with U.S. | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Maliki on Iraq TV calls for passage of troop pact with U.S.

Adam Ashton - McClatchy Newspapers

November 18, 2008 04:38 PM

BAGHDAD — Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki on Tuesday urged the Iraqi public to support the new pact that calls for withdrawing American forces as his most determined opponent, radical cleric Muqtada al Sadr, once again urged the parliament to vote down the agreement.

Maliki's nationally televised address marked his first clear, public endorsement of the treaty after nine months of what he called "difficult and complicated" negotiations with U.S. officials.

In May, Maliki declared that the negotiations were at an impasse, and he'd remained lukewarm this fall, neither endorsing nor rejecting a draft of the agreement.

His position changed late last week. Supporters said the prime minister would back the arrangement because of new U.S. concessions.

The main sticking points were Iraq's demands to fix a firm U.S. withdrawal date and for more authority to prosecute U.S. soldiers and contractors who commit crimes in Iraq. Iraqis contend that the Americans gave ground on both points.

The security agreement cleared a vote in the Iraqi Cabinet by a resounding majority Sunday, but it could be derailed in parliament.

Maliki criticized the agreement's opponents, contending that they were misleading the public.

"What they tell the media contradicts completely what they say in official meetings," he said.

"I confirm that there are no secret articles and no permanent military bases on the land of Iraq which will be a path to launch any attack against any state," he said.

Opposition to the pact comes primarily from two sides: an alliance of Sunni Muslim political parties that wants the treaty modified and from Sadr's followers.

The Sunni parties seek changes that would free detainees held in American custody rather than hand them over to Iraqi authorities and would provide compensation for victims of U.S. attacks during the war. Some Sunni leaders also want the agreement to be put to voters as a national referendum.

Those shifts won't be possible. Under Iraqi law, a treaty approved by the Cabinet is a final agreement between two states. The parliament can approve or reject it, but it can't change the content.

Sadr's supporters oppose the agreement because they want the 150,000 U.S. soldiers in Iraq to withdraw immediately, a toughened stance from Sadr's position in August. In a statement Tuesday, he declared: "I call on the parliament again to refuse this agreement without any hesitation. . . . It is the sale of Iraq and its people."

Iraq's top Shiite Muslim spiritual leader, Grand Ayatollah Ali al Sistani, issued a statement Tuesday that didn't clearly support or condemn the treaty. It read, "His eminence confirmed that any agreement that . . . diminishes Iraqi sovereignty, security or its economy, or that doesn't gain national accordance, cannot be accepted and will be a cause of increasing the suffering of Iraqis, their separations and the disagreement between them."

(Ashton reports for The Modesto (Calif.) Bee).

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iraqi cabinet approves accord setting U.S. troop withdrawal

Deal on U.S. troops faces possibly fatal objections in Iraq

Sadr promises to disband militia if U.S. sets Iraq withdrawal date

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service