Kenyan Islamist recruits say they did it for the money | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Kenyan Islamist recruits say they did it for the money

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

November 18, 2008 04:36 PM

NAIROBI, Kenya — Three Kenyan men who briefly fought for al Shabaab, the Somali insurgent group that claims ties to al Qaida, said that they were driven by the promise of money, not jihad.

"They promised me $300 a month," said Ali Abdi Ahmed, a 38-year-old with sunken cheeks who was recruited from the Kenyan town of Garissa early last year. At the time, he'd lacked steady work for several months, so he took the advice of a town elder and went to help fight Ethiopian forces in Somalia.

With its porous border and large ethnic Somali population, Kenya has become a major conduit for money, weapons and fighters for the Somali insurgency, and a place where injured fighters sometimes come to receive medical treatment.

The Kenyan recruits likely numbered in the hundreds, but they were rarely the most serious fighters. Each of the three men interviewed by McClatchy encountered dozens of foreign jihadists, most from Arab nations, easily identifiable by their sharp features and the fact that they didn't speak Somali.

In the makeshift, open-air Shabaab camps the foreigners enjoyed VIP status — they gave weapons instructions to younger fighters, slept far from the rank-and-file and sometimes had bodyguards.

"These people were very educated," said Ahmed, who learned that two of the foreigners in his camp were Egyptians. "They had knowledge of all different kinds of weapons. They were brought by the big men of our camp and we had to give them a lot of respect."

What drove Ahmed and other Kenyans to quit was al Shabaab's rules against smoking, drinking alcohol, consorting with women or chewing khat, a narcotic plant — all of which are forbidden under the group's strict interpretation of Islamic law.

"If you feel like being with a woman, you're at the end of your rope.

You could be killed for that," said Issa Abdi Ismail, a 30-year-old fighter who was recruited last year from Nairobi.

Abdiaziz Issak, a broad-shouldered 32-year-old who was among the Islamist forces that fought for three days to seize the port of Kismayo earlier this year, said he couldn't stomach combat and hated firing his AK-47. After four months he'd earned about $400 and jumped on a bus back to Kenya to rejoin his wife and two children.

"They were shocked to see me alive," Issak said. "I just pray that Somalia one day becomes peaceful. I cannot imagine going back."

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Did U.S. push detention of American without charges?

Suicide blasts kill at least 31 in Somalia

Somalia's reputed al Qaida leader killed in U.S. airstrike

Brush with death forces Somali journalist to flee his homeland

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Islamists poised to seize Somalia again in setback to U.S.

November 18, 2008 04:37 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service