Human rights inquiry set for warehoused Asians in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Human rights inquiry set for warehoused Asians in Iraq

Adam Ashton - McClatchy Newspapers

December 12, 2008 03:42 PM

BAGHDAD — The U.S. military and defense contractor KBR are investigating possible human-rights abuses at a compound near the Baghdad airport where a Kuwaiti company housed about 1,000 Asian men it recruited for jobs in Iraq that didn't materialize.

About 400 of the men continue to wait for flights back to their home countries more than a week after officials from Najlaa International Catering Services said they were planning to repatriate the men. The others were sent home, a Sri Lankan who's still living on the grounds said Friday.

"We're tired of their drama. We just want to leave," said Manoj Kodithuwakku, 28.

McClatchy and the Times of London first reported on the men in the compound Dec. 2, when they started to protest their living conditions in the three windowless warehouses where they'd spent the past two to three months.

Kodithuwakku said the men had received better accommodations since then, such as new jackets, but that they were eager to get home.

"They are trying to only change the outer look, putting plaster on the wound instead of healing it," he said.

The men — from Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka — reported paying middlemen $2,000 or more to get to Iraq, meaning that they'll probably go home in debt. Their jobs with Najlaa would have paid them about $600 to $800 a month.

The International Organization for Migration and the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq this week each disclosed reviews of the compound and a separate outdoor camp where South Asian workers had been living near the airport.

The men in the outdoor camp weren't promised jobs with Najlaa, though they also came to Iraq with the help of middlemen whom they paid thousands of dollars.

Staffan de Mistura, the United Nations' top envoy in Iraq, focused on the warehouses Thursday. He urged a quick return for the men living there "so that the suffering of these people, whose hopes have been shattered and who have had to endure severe hardship and disappointment, is rapidly brought to an end."

The migration group reported that men in the warehouses had had their passports taken from them, a violation of guidelines for the treatment of foreign workers in Iraq that the U.S. military drafted in 2006. Men in the warehouses told McClatchy a week ago that they had their passports but that Najlaa wanted to take them to prepare visas for their flights home.

The migration organization is preparing to send home a group of Nepalese men who are living in makeshift tents in a dirt lot.

"Winter is fast approaching, and they cannot be left to stay out in the open like this without proper facilities," said the organization's chief of mission for Iraq, Rafiq Tschannen.

Najlaa officials have maintained that they took care of the men's basic needs while the company sought to match them with jobs. It moved to send them home after the reports from McClatchy and the Times of London.

KBR, a Texas contractor, is involved because it's managed Najlaa's work in Iraq.

The press office for the U.S. military in Iraq said that KBR, the Army Criminal Investigations Command and the Multi-National Forces-Iraq were investigating whether "human rights or other legal violations" had occurred at the warehouses.

"Coalition forces take any allegations of possible human-rights violations very seriously and condemn the use of substandard camps by any U.S. contractor or subcontractor," the office said in a statement. "We expect KBR, Najlaa International Catering Services and all U.S. contractors, as well as their subcontractors, to abide by established laws and standards of conduct and to investigate and rectify any violations."

(Ashton reports for The Modesto (Calif.) Bee.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Warehoused Asian workers in Iraq will be sent home

Military contractor in Iraq holds foreign workers in warehouses

Contractors in Iraq could face charges in earlier incidents

Under Iraq troop pact, U.S. can't leave any forces behind

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Warehoused Asian workers in Iraq will be sent home

December 04, 2008 05:09 PM

world

Military contractor in Iraq holds foreign workers in warehouses

December 02, 2008 07:13 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service