Groups ask U.S., NATO to help secure Afghanistan gravesite | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Groups ask U.S., NATO to help secure Afghanistan gravesite

Jonathan S. Landay - McClatchy Newspapers

December 15, 2008 07:44 PM

WASHINGTON — A human rights group Monday called on the commander of U.S. and NATO-led troops in Afghanistan to assist the United Nations in securing a mass gravesite from which the remains of as many as 2,000 suspected Taliban and al Qaida fighters appear to have been removed.

McClatchy reported last week that men allegedly loyal to Afghan warlord and U.S. ally Abdul Rashid Dostum reportedly used backhoes and bulldozers to dig up the remains in recent months, leaving empty holes in the Dasht-e-Leili desert in northern Afghanistan.

Physicians for Human Rights, whose investigators discovered the site in 2002, urged U.S. Army Gen. David McKiernan, the commander of U.S. and NATO-led forces in Afghanistan, to provide the troops and logistical support required by the U.N. to secure the area against further disruption.

"Full protection of the grave will be dependent upon NATO forces being given the mandate to preserve any remaining evidence and safeguard any surviving witnesses," Frank Donaghue, the chief executive of the Cambridge, Mass., organization, said in a statement.

Dostum, an ethnic Uzbek who played a central role in helping the U.S. overthrow the Taliban in 2001, is suspected of having the remains of Taliban prisoners who died in his men's custody buried at the site.

PHR said a full-scale forensic investigation of the gravesite could only be conducted if a "full security cordon . . . with around-the-clock guards" is established.

The government of Afghan President Hamid Karzai, backed by the U.N. and the international community, must also conduct an investigation into the deaths of the men who were buried at the site and the destruction of possible evidence of war crimes, PHR said.

"The Bush administration needs to answer questions of who knew what and when, and provide information of what they did or failed to do to secure the site" and to declassify any satellite images of the location from November 2001 to the present, PHR said.

ON THE WEB

PHR Asks NATO to Assist UN in Securing Dasht-e-Leili Mass Grave in Afghanistan

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.N.: Afghan graves disturbed; physicians demand probe

Video: Human rights group calls for probe of mass graves removal

As possible Afghan war crimes evidence removed, U.S. silent

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

U.N.: Afghan graves disturbed; physicians demand probe

December 12, 2008 08:40 PM

world

As possible Afghan war-crimes evidence removed, U.S. silent

December 11, 2008 05:39 PM

world

Afghan warlord Dostum is 'everyone's friend'

December 11, 2008 05:37 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service