Gates orders development of plans to close Guantanamo | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Gates orders development of plans to close Guantanamo

Jonathan S. Landay and Margaret Talev - McClatchy Newspapers

December 18, 2008 06:46 PM

WASHINGTON — The Defense Department is drawing up plans to close the Guantanamo Bay military prison in anticipation that one of President-elect Barack Obama's first acts will be ordering the closure of the detention center associated with the abuse of terror suspects.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates "has asked his team for a proposal on how to shut (the detention center) down, what would be required specifically to close it and move the detainees from that facility while at the same time, of course, ensuring that we protect the American people from some dangerous characters," Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell told reporters on Thursday.

The prison, built to hold suspected terrorists after the 2001 U.S.-led military intervention in Afghanistan, now houses about 250 detainees, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammad and others accused in connection with the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Obama, who's asked Gates to stay on as his defense secretary, has said that he wants to close the prison within two years of taking office on Jan. 20. Gates also has spoken publicly about the need to close the facility.

"If this is one of the president-elect's first orders of business, the secretary wants to be prepared to help him as soon as possible," Morrell said. "The request (for a closure plan) has been made, his team is working on it so that he can be prepared to assist the president-elect should he wish to address this very early in his tenure."

In a telephone interview, Morrell said that Gates' study is "comprehensive" in nature, but is being conducted only inside the Pentagon and not in concert with the Justice Department or other government agencies.

"If and when the president-elect were to ask the secretary to help him solve this problem, we have done our homework and we are ready to present him with the best advice on the way forward," Morrell said. "We prepare for all sorts of contingencies, so there have been efforts previous to this one to devise solutions to this, should they be needed. The difference here is that the president-elect made it very clear throughout the campaign that this is something that he did want to confront" immediately.

Brooke Anderson, a spokeswoman for the Obama transition team, declined to comment, saying, "There is one president at a time, and we intend to respect that."

Guantanamo has been at the center of allegations that the Bush administration authorized the use of aggressive interrogation techniques that are considered torture under international law.

A Senate Armed Services Committee report published earlier this month blamed senior U.S. officials — including former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and retired Air Force Gen. Richard Myers, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff — for the use of those techniques.

An investigation by McClatchy earlier this year found that few detainees were of any intelligence value, that many of them had minor or no involvement with the Taliban or al Qaida, and that some who weren't extremists became radicals at Guantanamo.

Shuttering the Guantanamo Bay facility involves complex issues, including what to do with the tribunals and finding alternative locations to hold detainees, including about 60 who've been approved for repatriation but whose governments don't want to take them.

Last week, Portugal said it was ready to resettle some of the inmates and urged its European Union partners to do so, as well, in a gesture of goodwill to the incoming Obama administration.

Vice President Dick Cheney, a key proponent of interrogation techniques such as waterboarding, which creates the sensation of drowning, said earlier this week in an ABC News interview that Guantanamo should be kept open indefinitely.

ON THE WEB

The Senate Armed Services Committee report

Read the transcript of the Pentagon briefing

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

New Guantanamo chief judge warns of change with Obama

Canadian teen captive edges towards war crimes trial

Senate probe blames top Bush officials for abuses

Guantanamo: Beyond the Law — a McClatchy special project

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

New Guantanamo chief judge warns of change with Obama

December 15, 2008 05:00 PM

politics-government

Rights groups urge Obama to mount Guantanamo probe

November 12, 2008 05:26 PM

national

Closing Guantanamo a minefield of critical steps

December 08, 2008 06:46 AM

news

ACLU pressing Obama to close Guantanamo quickly

November 10, 2008 03:02 PM

national

Obama detainees pledge raises concerns in South Carolina

November 21, 2008 07:54 PM

national-security

Judge orders release of 5 Guantanamo detainees

November 20, 2008 01:46 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service