Suicide bomber kills 30 at Sunni tribal parley in Iraq | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Suicide bomber kills 30 at Sunni tribal parley in Iraq

Mohammed al Dulaimy and Adam Ashton - McClatchy Newspapers

January 02, 2009 01:02 PM

BAGHDAD — A man wearing a suicide vest attacked an informal reconciliation meeting hosted by a Sunni tribal leader south of Baghdad Friday, killing up to 30 people and injuring as many as 110, police said.

Sheikh Mohammed Abdullah Saleh al Qaraghuli hosted the lunch meeting for his cousins and several other tribal leaders from the town of Youssifiyah south of Baghdad. It was not clear whether any of the tribal leaders was killed. Sheikh Saleh was wounded, an Iraqi army official said.

Iraqi officials identified the attacker as Ameen Ahmed Edan al Qaraghuli, a member of Sheikh Saleh's tribe.

An Iraqi army officer who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the suspect had been detained at Camp Bucca, a U.S. military prison near Baghdad, as recently as two months ago. The U.S. military could not immediately confirm that assertion.

The Iraqi officer said the suspect attended Sheikh Saleh's meeting then left for his home nearby. He returned through Sheikh Saleh's back door with a suicide vest, detonating it about 2 p.m. as the host was seeing off his guests.

The Shiite-led Iraqi government is trying to reach an accommodation with its former Sunni enemies throughout the county as part of a reconciliation campaign, backed by Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki. Sheikh Saleh undertook Friday's meeting on his own accord to give tribal leaders an opportunity to bring peace to neighborhoods without assistance from the central government.

Mohammed Salman, head of a national reconciliation committee that answers to Maliki, said the attacker wasn't targeting Iraqi reconciliation so much as trying to kill as many people as possible. "Now, after terrorists have been defeated, I believe they are...trying to use any breach through which they can cause great numbers of casualties," he said.

He likened the blast to a Dec. 27 car bomb in Baghdad's Kadhemiyah neighborhood that killed 24 people.

"They are trying to say 'We are here,'" he said.

The attack took place one day after Iraq formally reclaimed its sovereignty from the U.S. following more than five years of occupation. Under the new security pact, Iraq has significantly more authority and U.S. forces are required to work closely with their Iraqi counterparts.

Early reports from the U.S. military said 23 people died and 44 people were killed in the attack at the tribal meeting, but American officials had not arrived at the scene at the time of that estimate. The Iraqi army put the casualty estimate at 24 dead and 35 wounded.

(Dulaimy is a McClatchy special correspondent in Baghdad. Ashton reports for the Modesto (Calif.) Bee)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iraqi government to take control of Sunni militia in Diyala

Sunni sheikhs air grievances, but will work with Shiite-led government

Surge test: Will Iraq's government back Sunni militias?

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service