Airstrike kills 3 at Gaza school U.N. using as refugee center | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Airstrike kills 3 at Gaza school U.N. using as refugee center

Shashank Bengali - McClatchy Newspapers

January 06, 2009 07:48 AM

JERUSALEM — An Israeli military strike killed three people at a United Nations-run elementary school in Gaza City where more than 400 Palestinians had sought shelter from the intensifying ground war in the Gaza Strip, U.N. officials said Tuesday.

The officials said the strike late Monday was a direct hit on a compound clearly marked as a U.N. installation. The U.N. said it was strongly protesting the incident and called on Israel to investigate it immediately. The Israeli army had no immediate comment.

The three civilian deaths added to the mounting toll in Israel's 11-day-old offensive in Gaza against the militant Islamic group Hamas.

Gaza health officials said that 562 Palestinians had been killed _ including at least 111 children _ and some 2,500 wounded. The figures can't be independently verified because Israel has barred foreign journalists from Gaza since the offensive started.

Three Israeli soldiers died in a "friendly fire" incident Monday night when an Israeli tank mistakenly fired on an infantry unit that was taking up positions in a northern Gaza Strip building.

Israeli military officials said that a fourth soldier was killed in a separate friendly-fire incident Monday in northern Gaza. Initial reports indicated that a tank shell fired by mistake struck the soldiers.

Up to Monday, one Israeli soldier had been killed in the military campaign. Some Israelis say that the operation is entering a crucial phase in which expanding ground operations could lead to greater Israeli military casualties.

Israeli officials said they'd killed 130 militants over the past two days in military operations that they say are aimed at destabilizing Hamas and stopping its fighters from firing crude rockets from Gaza into Israeli territory.

On Tuesday, Israel said it had attacked the home of Iman Siam, a senior Hamas military operative and the head of the group's rocket-launching unit, in the northern Gaza neighborhood of Jabaliya, although it didn't immediately say whether Siam had been killed.

Humanitarian officials have warned of a rapidly worsening crisis in Gaza, where most residents are without power and running water and hospitals are struggling to cope with wave on wave of injuries. Thousands of people have been forced to flee homes that have been damaged by the fighting, U.N. officials say.

The Israeli strike on the Asma Elementary School killed three members of a family _ men aged 19 to 25, the U.N. said. They were among more than 400 residents of the northern Beit Lahiya neighborhood who'd fled the fighting near their homes earlier Monday night.

More from McClatchy:

Crisis takes toll on Gaza’s seasoned doctors, medics

Israelis, sipping Pepsi, watch bombardment of Gaza town

Israeli rebuffs cease-fire calls as Gaza casualties rise

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Israel rebuffs cease-fire calls as Gaza casualties rise

January 05, 2009 08:20 AM

world

Israelis, sipping Pepsi, watch bombardment of Gaza town

January 05, 2009 06:00 PM

world

Crisis takes toll on Gaza's seasoned doctors, medics

January 05, 2009 06:56 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service