Clashes between Gaza militants, Israeli army threaten cease-fire | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Clashes between Gaza militants, Israeli army threaten cease-fire

Dion Nissenbaum - McClatchy Newspapers

January 27, 2009 07:25 AM

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — President Barack Obama's efforts to stabilize a tenuous cease-fire between Israel and Hamas were jeopardized Tuesday when a roadside bomb planted by Palestinian militants hit an Israeli patrol along the Gaza Strip border, killing one officer and wounding three others.

Israel launched a series of counter-strikes after the explosion, killing a farmer, according to Palestinian medical officials.

The tit-for-tat assaults cast a cloud over the arrival in Cairo, Egypt, of George Mitchell, Obama's Middle East envoy, who's on a mission to cement the 10-day-old cease-fire.

The former U.S. senator heads to Jerusalem on Wednesday with Israeli leaders warning that they'll inflict punishing responses to cease-fire violations.

"Whoever hits us will receive a severe blow," Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak said Tuesday. "We cannot achieve peace unless we are willing to stand determined, ready with the left hand looking for any opening for peace and the right hand on the trigger."

Gaza residents had anticipated the Israeli retaliation, and braced for more.

Residents in central Gaza said they'd seen small numbers of Israel tanks and Special Forces units slowly pushing into the isolated Mediterranean strip. Gaza health officials said Israeli forces killed a Palestinian farmer soon after the morning bomb attack. An Israeli airstrike later hit a moped in Khan Younis, injuring a driver who Israeli military officials said had taken part in the morning attack.

No Palestinian group has claimed responsibility for the roadside bomb. Late Tuesday, Palestinian militants released a high-quality video to local journalists showing the explosion and subsequent shootout along the border.

Tuesday's incidents were the most severe test so far of the uneasy cease-fire that took hold when Israel unilaterally ended its three-week military campaign to destabilize Hamas rulers in Gaza and halt persistent Palestinian rocket fire aimed at southern Israel.

Hamas and the other main Palestinian militant groups soon followed the Israeli cease-fire declaration with their own unilateral truce. Since then, Gaza militants have fired no rockets into southern Israel, though they did launch several mortars one day last week.

The Israeli strikes killed more than 1,200 Palestinians during the 22-day military campaign in Gaza, making it the most deadly Israeli operation in Gaza since it seized the Mediterranean strip in the 1967 war.

During the campaign, nine Israeli soldiers were killed in Gaza and Palestinian rocket fire killed four Israelis in southern Israel.

During the early days of the truce, Israeli naval ships repeatedly fired on fishing boats along the Gaza coast. At least 11 Palestinians were injured by the Israeli shelling, which ended last Friday.

When Israeli leaders announced the unilateral cease-fire, they warned that Gaza would face a painful response if militants resumed their attacks.

Amnon Lipkin Shahak, a former Israeli army chief of staff, told Israel Radio on Tuesday that "there needs to be a painful strike against those responsible" for the bombing.

"We need to make rules that will protect the residents of the south," he said. "We cannot accept attacks from Gaza."

Ihab Ghusain, a spokesman for the Hamas-led Interior Ministry in Gaza, said Tuesday that Palestinian militants had every right to launch such attacks because Israel had broken the calm repeatedly with its attacks on Gaza in the past week.

Residents in Gaza have been on edge for days as rumors have swept across the area that Israel was preparing to resume its airstrikes.

Over the weekend, Palestinians cleared out of government offices and security compounds amid rumors that Israel was going to attack. On Sunday, Hamas guards temporarily closed the Rafah crossing with Egypt amid rumors that Israel was preparing to hit the network of adjacent smuggler tunnels, which were a prime focus of airstrikes during the military campaign.

As the violence resumed Tuesday, Israel and Hamas reopened indirect talks in Cairo with Egyptian mediators who are working to solidify the cease-fire. Egypt has been unable to secure a breakthrough in the complex talks.

Israel is seeking assurances that Gaza militants won't resume rocket attacks on Israeli cities and that Egypt will prevent Hamas from using smuggler tunnels to rearm. Israeli negotiators also are looking to secure the release of Gilad Shalit, a young Israeli soldier whom Hamas-led militants captured in 2006.

Hamas is demanding that Israel release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners in return for Shalit's freedom. The Islamist militant group that's running Gaza also wants Israel to open its borders to allow a normal flow of supplies into the Gaza Strip, which is home to 1.5 million Palestinians.

Tuesday's clash came two weeks before Israel's national elections. Polls find former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his conservative Likud Party holding a solid lead over the ruling Kadima Party, led by Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni.

Barak and his center-left Labor Party also haven't made any advances that have altered the fundamental dynamics of the campaign. (Shashank Bengali in Gaza City and McClatchy special correspondent Cliff Churgin in Jerusalem contributed to this report.) MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

It only took a day: Gaza's tunnels are back in business

Mosques destroyed by Israeli strikes, Gazans pray outdoors

Hamas agrees to outlines of truce, but disagrees on details

Israeli soldiers say they have OK to use tough tactics in Gaza

Groups say Israel failed to plan for the safety of Gaza civilians

With nowhere safe, Gazans hunker down inside their homes

'Small disaster': Gaza journalist finds his apartment destroyed

What helped the rise of Hamas? U.S., Israel policies, turns out

Israelis, sipping Pepsi, watch bombardment of Gaza town

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service