Gazans brace for response as militants fire rocket into Israel | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Gazans brace for response as militants fire rocket into Israel

Dion Nissenbaum - McClatchy Newspapers

January 28, 2009 06:53 PM

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — Gaza militants fired a Qassam rocket into Israel on Wednesday, an escalation in the fighting that could bring Israeli retaliation and further undercut the Obama administration's high-profile effort to negotiate a lasting truce.

"There is no cease-fire," said Ahmed Yousef, the Hamas political adviser and deputy foreign minister in the Hamas-led Gaza Strip government. He said there could be one early next month, however, shortly before Israel holds national elections.

President Barack Obama's newly named special envoy, George Mitchell, said in Jerusalem that a cease-fire was of "critical importance." The former U.S. senator from Maine, who arrived in the region Tuesday, held closed-door talks with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Wednesday.

Twelve days ago, Israel unilaterally halted its 22-day military campaign in Gaza after killing more than 1,200 Palestinians and causing an estimated $2 billion in damage. It threatened to strike back hard, however, if Gaza militants resumed their attacks.

Palestinian militant groups vowed to hold their fire for one week, but that pledge ended Sunday. Since then, militants have bombed an Israeli patrol — killing an officer along the Gaza Strip border — fired a dozen mortars at southern Israel and launched the first new rocket from the northern Gaza Strip.

Israel responded to the roadside bombing by launching airstrikes early Wednesday morning on the tunnels between Egypt and Gaza, which Palestinians use to smuggle weapons and other supplies from Egypt for the 1.5 million Gaza Strip residents.

As the militants stepped up their attacks, residents across the Gaza Strip braced for more Israeli strikes. Hamas officials evacuated police stations, government offices and other buildings that Israel bombed during the military campaign.

The Israeli military is expected to respond to the Gaza attacks, but Israel opted to hold its fire while Mitchell met with Israeli leaders.

After meeting with Olmert, Mitchell said that any long-term truce would take hold only if the smuggler tunnels were shut down and Israel reopened its border crossings with Gaza, to allow the normal flow of aid and supplies into the isolated Mediterranean strip.

Mitchell isn't meeting with Hamas, however, because the Islamist militant group refuses to renounce its pledge to destroy Israel. Despite the decision, Yousef said that he expected the Obama administration to begin secret or public diplomacy with Hamas eventually.

"I sense there is going to be a real invitation toward talking to Hamas or engaging Hamas sooner or later," Yousef said. "We're not going to see it in the next six or seven months, but in the minds of those people working with this administration, Hamas is the right address."

During the presidential campaign, Obama suggested that he was willing to open diplomatic channels to isolated leaders such as Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. He made it clear, however, that he has no plans to scuttle American demands that Hamas abandon its pledge to destroy Israel before the U.S. reaches out to the Islamist leaders who control Gaza.

Amid the increasing Palestinian attacks, Egypt is trying to broker a long-term truce between Israel and Hamas.

Yousef said that Hamas was hoping to agree on a cease-fire with Israel by Feb. 5, five days before Israeli voters elect a new government. Polls find former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his hawkish Likud Party holding a strong lead over the ruling Kadima Party, led by Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, and the center-left Labor Party, led by Defense Minister Ehud Barak.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

It only took a day: Gaza's tunnels are back in business

Mosques destroyed by Israeli strikes, Gazans pray outdoors

Hamas agrees to outlines of truce, but disagrees on details

Israeli soldiers say they have OK to use tough tactics in Gaza

Groups say Israel failed to plan for the safety of Gaza civilians

With nowhere safe, Gazans hunker down inside their homes

'Small disaster': Gaza journalist finds his apartment destroyed

What helped the rise of Hamas? U.S., Israel policies, turns out

Israelis, sipping Pepsi, watch bombardment of Gaza town

Related stories from McClatchy DC

world

Israel's destruction of U.S.-style school shocks Gazans

January 28, 2009 05:28 PM

world

Israeli troops killed Gaza children carrying white flag, witnesses say

January 27, 2009 04:58 PM

world

Clashes between Gaza militants, Israeli army threaten cease-fire

January 27, 2009 07:25 AM

world

With Mitchell off to Mideast, Obama talks to Arab TV

January 26, 2009 09:06 PM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service