Iraq won't allow Blackwater security firm to stay in country | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraq won't allow Blackwater security firm to stay in country

Leila Fadel - McClatchy Newspapers

January 29, 2009 01:57 PM

BAGHDAD — Iraq told the United States this week that it won't renew the license of Blackwater Worldwide, a North Carolina-based security firm that's provided protection for U.S. diplomats in Iraq but has been widely criticized as using force excessively.

"We have been informed that Blackwater's private-security company operating license will not be granted," a U.S. Embassy official in Baghdad said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the official wasn't authorized to talk on the record. "We don't have specifics about dates. We are working with the government of Iraq and our contractors to address the implications of this decision."

A new U.S.-Iraq security agreement that took effect Jan. 1 lifts immunity from prosecution for contractors, including Blackwater.

Blackwater was accused of an improper use of force in a series of fatal incidents in Iraq, among them the killing of a bodyguard of Vice President Adel Abdul-Mahdi in 2006 in the heavily fortified Green Zone by an employee who was drunk and off duty.

The most infamous incident occurred in September 2007 at al Nisoor square in Baghdad, where Blackwater guards opened fire in a crowded street of traffic and pedestrians, killing 17 civilians.

Last month, five of the men were charged with voluntary manslaughter and using a machine gun to commit a violent act. A sixth agreed to a plea bargain.

It's unclear when Blackwater will need to leave Iraq. Iraqi officials couldn't be reached for comment.

The State Department renewed Blackwater's contract last year for one year, but said Thursday that it was due to expire later this year and could be terminated at any time.

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY:

Blackwater indictment details chaos at busy Baghdad circle

Contractors in Iraq could face charges in earlier incidents

Blackwater likely to be fined millions in Iraq weapons case

ATF agents seize weapons from Blackwater's N.C> facility

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service