With tension rising, Iraq will recount ballots in Anbar | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

With tension rising, Iraq will recount ballots in Anbar

Leila Fadel - McClatchy Newspapers

February 04, 2009 12:26 PM

BAGHDAD — Iraqi officials moved Wednesday to quell rising tensions between rival Sunni Muslim factions in once restive Anbar province, by recounting some of the votes cast in last weekend's provincial elections — even before offcial results are known.

The Independent High Electoral Commission sent a committee from Baghdad Wednesday to recount ballot boxes from some polling stations in the province after tribal leaders accused the Iraqi Islamic Party, IIP, which currently controls the provincial council, of rigging the vote.

The accusations of vote rigging came from an especially important source, Ahmed Abu Risha, the head of the province's Awakening Council, which is widely credited with bringing calm to Anbar.

At a news conference in the provincial capital, Ramadi, Abu Risha brandished polling center result forms that he said had been altered.

"We will not fight with weapons, we will fight with these documents," he said.

Also at the news conference were two other prominent Iraqi politicians, Deputy Prime Minister Rafaa al Issawi and Saleh al Mutlaq, both members of the Gathering of the Iraqi National Projects. Issawi is a former member of the IIP.

Complaints about the election have been gathering force since Monday, when tribal gunmen took to the streets in what security officials said was a protest of fraudulent voting results. Security officials imposed a curfew.

On Wednesday, Abu Risha said the gunmen were not protesting, but celebrating what they believed was a win for their movement.

Saturday's election was the first for most Sunni Arabs in Anbar who boycotted Iraq's national elections in 2005. Current provincial council members are largely seen as corrupt and unrepresentative of the population. Anbar province was among the lowest in voter turnout with about 40 percent of people going to the polls, well below the 51 percent nationwide.

Mutlaq said tribal leader voiced rage on Wednesday at the idea that the IIP, which they view as corrupt, would continue to rule in the province.

"Unless the electoral commission treats the complaints fairly, conflict is coming to Anbar," he said. "They cheated and the tribal leaders will not allow them to govern them."

Security officials in Anbar braced for possible violence.

"We will not allow the province to return to square one," said Gen. Tariq Yousef, Anbar's police chief. "We will not be merciful. We will not be merciful with those who violate the law no matter who they are."

(McClatchy Special Correspondents Jamal Naji and Mahdi al Dulaimy contributed from Anbar.)

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service