Pentagon pulls Cole charges to avoid Guantanamo hearing | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Pentagon pulls Cole charges to avoid Guantanamo hearing

Carol Rosenberg - Miami Herald

February 05, 2009 08:56 PM

The Pentagon on Thursday ended the standoff between an Army judge and President Barack Obama by dismissing war crimes charges against an alleged al Qaeda plotter accused in the 2000 suicide bombing of the USS Cole.

The decision to withdraw the charges against Abd el Rahim al Nashiri avoided the need to arraign him Monday at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Army Col. James Pohl refused last week to cancel the arraignment, despite a request from Obama that all Guantanamo cases be delayed for 120 days so that his administration could determine how to deal with each of the 250 prisoners held there.

Susan J. Crawford, the so-called convening authority for the military commissions, ended the standoff by dismissing the charges "without prejudice," Navy Cmdr. Jeffrey Gordon, a Pentagon spokesman said Thursday night.

"Nashiri may be charged at a later date,'' he said, declining to elaborate.

Crawford is a civilian appointed to her post by the Bush administration to oversee the special war court created to stage the first war crimes tribunals since World War II. Obama had instructed Defense Secretary Robert Gates to get a 120-day stay in the trials, to give his administration time to decide the best way to prosecute accused terrorists. But Pohl blocked that effort by refusing to grant the delay, saying to do so would not be "in the interests of justice."

Nashiri, a Saudi Arabian, is accused of helping orchestrate the October 2000 bombing of the USS Cole in the port of Aden, Yemen. Seventeen sailors were killed. If he is convicted, he could be sentenced to death.

Obama is scheduled to meet Friday with the former commander of the Cole, retired Navy Cmdr. Kirk Lippold, and family members of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Lippold has been sharply critical of Obama for ordering Guantanamo closed and the cases of suspected terrorists held there delayed.

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Obama faces 9/11 victims today over Guantanamo decision

February 05, 2009 10:20 PM

world

U.S. stand on Guantanamo documents angers British

February 05, 2009 08:29 PM

politics-government

Obama to meet with 9/11 survivors, Cole commander

February 05, 2009 07:08 PM

world

Guantanamo judge who defied Obama issues new ruling

February 05, 2009 04:18 PM

national

Admiral begins Guantanamo review Obama ordered

February 04, 2009 03:43 PM

politics-government

Former USS Cole commander slams Obama on Guantanamo

January 30, 2009 07:51 AM

Read Next

Latest News

Trump administration aims to stop professional baseball deal with Cuba

By Franco Ordoñez

December 29, 2018 02:46 PM

The Trump administration is expected to take steps to block a historic agreement that would allow Cuban baseball players from joining Major League Baseball in the United States without having to defect, according to an official familiar with the discussions.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service