Iraqis shrug off concerns over photos of U.S. abuse | McClatchy Washington Bureau

×
Sign In
Sign In
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscriber Services

    • All White House
    • Russia
    • All Congress
    • Budget
    • All Justice
    • Supreme Court
    • DOJ
    • Criminal Justice
    • All Elections
    • Campaigns
    • Midterms
    • The Influencer Series
    • All Policy
    • National Security
    • Guantanamo
    • Environment
    • Climate
    • Energy
    • Water Rights
    • Guns
    • Poverty
    • Health Care
    • Immigration
    • Trade
    • Civil Rights
    • Agriculture
    • Technology
    • Cybersecurity
    • All Nation & World
    • National
    • Regional
    • The East
    • The West
    • The Midwest
    • The South
    • World
    • Diplomacy
    • Latin America
    • Investigations
  • Podcasts
    • All Opinion
    • Political Cartoons

  • Our Newsrooms

You have viewed all your free articles this month

Subscribe

Or subscribe with your Google account and let Google manage your subscription.

World

Iraqis shrug off concerns over photos of U.S. abuse

Jack Dolan and Sahar Issa - McClatchy Newspapers

May 15, 2009 04:37 PM

BAGHDAD — While President Barack Obama argues that releasing photos of U.S. soldiers abusing detainees could incite violence against American troops abroad, a prominent Iraqi leader called for their publication and others cast doubt on the U.S. administration's warnings.

Far from dominating the news as it did in Washington on Wednesday, the photo controversy has attracted almost no attention from the Iraqi news media. Even in Baghdad neighborhoods known as insurgent hotbeds, residents reacted to news of the photos with a collective shrug.

Mohammed Al Darraji, 32, who lives in Sadr City, the sprawling, impoverished Shiite Muslim neighborhood that saw some of the bloodiest clashes between local militias and U.S. forces, was unfazed.

Darraji didn't know there were more pictures of abuse by U.S. soldiers at the Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad and elsewhere until a reporter told him on Friday, and he said he doubted that their release would provoke more attacks.

"Nothing would happen," he said. "This is a very old issue, and we Iraqis have seen much worse than just photos."

Dozens of Sadr City residents were killed by a spate of bombings in public markets last month.

Harith al Obaidi, the head of the largest Sunni Muslim bloc in Iraq's parliament and the deputy chairman of the Committee on Human Rights, also shrugged off the Obama administration's concerns over the photos.

"The people who want to express their opinions through violence are already trying their best to do so," Obaidi said. "Showing them a few pictures wouldn't make them any more able to do it."

Obaidi called on Obama to release the photos and to hold any perpetrators of abuse publicly accountable. Keeping the pictures secret will only bolster suspicions that the American government is trying to suppress evidence of more widespread abuse, he said.

The desire to protect U.S. soldiers should be weighed against the need to show the world that America doesn't condone such behavior by its troops, Obaidi said.

On Wednesday, Obama reversed an earlier promise to release the photos. He said he'd changed his mind after seeing them and hearing from military commanders that they'd inflame passions in Iraq and Afghanistan, putting American soldiers at greater risk.

"The publication of these photos would not add any additional benefit to our understanding of what was carried out in the past by a small number of individuals," the president said at a White House briefing.

The photos, which reportedly show abusive practices at Abu Ghraib and a half dozen other military detention centers, had been scheduled for release by May 28.

Little news of the debate in Washington reached Doura, either, a Sunni neighborhood in southern Baghdad that was a stronghold for al Qaida in Iraq during the worst postwar sectarian violence.

Imad Abass Idress, 44, a member of the U.S.-backed Sons of Iraq Sunni militia, which helped drive al Qaida in Iraq underground in Doura, said he'd heard nothing of the controversy.

He said it was possible that some Iraqis would react violently if more degrading photos turned up, but he added that most of his countrymen peacefully endure humiliations related to the U.S. occupation every day. "When people see foreign soldiers drive down their streets, or enter their homes, that makes them angry, too," he said.

As a member of the parliamentary Human Rights Committee, Obaidi has heard tales from many former Abu Ghraib detainees that American guards abused and humiliated them, he said.

He said he found it hard to believe that the photos that already had come to light — which include images of detainees stripped naked and stacked on top of one another, and one of a prisoner on all fours wearing a dog leash — depicted isolated incidents.

"How can they be isolated incidents when President Obama himself alluded to abuses in two separate countries (Iraq and Afghanistan) occupied by the United States?" Obaidi asked.

(Dolan reports for The Miami Herald. Issa is a McClatchy special correspondent. Special correspondent Laith Hammoudi contributed to this report from Baghdad.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

Iraqi government says it captured al Qaida leader

Attacks in Iraq kill dozens; fears mount of wider violence

Report: Abusive tactics used to seek Iraq-al Qaida link

Gates says 'last gasp' remark on al Qaida in Iraq was mistake

Related stories from McClatchy DC

politics-government

Obama reverses decision to release prisoner abuse photos

May 13, 2009 01:24 PM

politics-government

FBI interrogator calls harsh techniques 'ineffective'

May 13, 2009 05:53 PM

iraq-intelligence

CIA official: No proof harsh techniques stopped terror attacks

April 24, 2009 08:22 PM

Read Next

Immigration

Why some on the right are grateful to Democrats for opposing Trump’s border wall

By Franco Ordoñez

December 20, 2018 05:12 PM

Conservative groups supporting Donald Trump’s calls for stronger immigration policies are now backing Democratic efforts to fight against Trump’s border wall.

KEEP READING

MORE WORLD

World

State Department allows Yemeni mother to travel to U.S. to see her dying son, lawyer says

December 18, 2018 10:24 AM

Politics & Government

Ambassador who served under 8 U.S. presidents dies in SLO at age 92

December 17, 2018 09:26 PM

Trade

‘Possible quagmire’ awaits new trade deal in Congress; Big Business is nearing panic

December 17, 2018 10:24 AM

Congress

How Congress will tackle Latin America policy with fewer Cuban Americans in office

December 14, 2018 06:00 AM

Diplomacy

Peña Nieto leaves office as 1st Mexican leader in decades not to get a U.S. state visit

December 07, 2018 09:06 AM

Latin America

Argentina “BFF” status questioned as Trump fawns over “like-minded” Brazil leader

December 03, 2018 12:00 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

McClatchy Washington Bureau App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Newsletters
Learn More
  • Customer Service
  • Securely Share News Tips
  • Contact Us
Advertising
  • Advertise With Us
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service